Moodie Street Fire Damages Apartment

Cooking Fires are a leading cause of fires in homes.
Fire in Kitchenuhmaykoosib Inninuwug First Nation is under investigation

THUNDER BAY – NEWS – Ignoring a smoke detector is not a great idea. Fortunately for some occupants of an apartment building on Moodie Street East, Thunder Bay Fire Rescue was able to put out the fire and no serious injuries or deaths occurred.

At 02:36AM EDT, Thunder Bay Fire Rescue responded to a report of a structure fire on east Moodie Street.

On arrival, firefighters noted smoke was seen emitting from a second floor apartment. A second alarm was called and the initial crew brought a 45mm hand line into the building from the pumper.

Once access was gained water was applied and the fire was extinguished quickly.

There was light smoke throughout the second and third floors. The fire was confined to the apartment of origin and it sustained heavy damage.

It was noted that while most occupants heeded the alarms that were ringing there were a few who risked injury or death by ignoring them and remained in bed. Thunder Bay Fire Rescue would like to remind occupants that smoke alarms save lives and that people should evacuate when alarms ring.

Previous articleLegacy of Chef Ferran Adrià Continues
Next articleCurling Championships – Day Four – Round Robin Complete or NNL offers news, information, opinions and positive ideas for Thunder Bay, Ontario, Northwestern Ontario and the world. NNL covers a large region of Ontario, but we are also widely read around the country and the world. To reach us by email: Reach the Newsroom: (807) 355-1862