THUNDER BAY, Ont. – Winners of all four games they played last week not only helped the Dryden GM Ice Dogs move back into first place in the Superior International Junior Hockey League standings, but also aided in them jumping eight slots in the latest Canadian Junior Hockey League Top 20 rankings, which were announced Monday.
Dryden was tabbed 10th in the 132-team CJHL national listings while their SIJHL rival, the Thunder Bay North Stars, were listed 12th overall.
The GM Ice Dogs have a three-point cushion on the North Stars atop the SIJHL leaderboard heading into the holiday break.
They have gone a SIJHL-best 23-4-3-0 after 30 games while Thunder Bay sits at 22-6-2-0.
Dryden also own the best winning percentage in their league at .817 with the North Stars second with a .767 win mark.
Collège Français de Longueuil (LHJAAAQ) continues as the No. 1 club in the CJHL while the Powassan Voodoos (NOJHL), who have won 22 straight games, moved to No. 2 overall while the Georgetown Raiders (OJHL) were slotted in at No. 3.
The following is the latest CJHL Top 20 rankings:
CJHL TOP 20 (As of Dec. 19, 2016)
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) (LAST WEEK)
1. Collège Français de Longueuil (LHJAAAQ) (1)
2. Powassan Voodoos (NOJHL) (3)
3. Georgetown Raiders (OJHL) (2)
4. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (4)
5. Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL) (5)
6. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (7)
7. Wenatchee Wild (BCHL) (8)
8. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (6)
9. Battlefords North Stars (SJHL) (9)
10. Dryden GM Ice Dogs (SIJHL) (18)
11. Les Cobras de Terrebonne (LHJQ) (13)
12. Thunder Bay North Stars (SIJHL) (11)
13. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (12)
14. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (15)
15. Winkler Flyers (MJHL) (16)
16. Ottawa Jr. ‘A’ Senators (CCHL) (19)
17. Whitby Fury (OJHL) (10)
18. Whitecourt Wolverines (AJHL) (14)
19. Bonnyville Pontiacs (AJHL) (HM)
20. Pictou County Weeks Crushers (MHL) (20)
Honourable Mention: Okotoks Oilers (AJHL); Estevan Bruins (SJHL); Portage Terriers (MJHL); Cobourg Cougars (OJHL); Yarmouth Jr. ‘A’ Mariners (MHL)
The CJHL top 20 will return on Monday, Jan. 9, 2017.
ABOUT THE CJHL TOP 20 RANKINGS
The CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.
ABOUT THE CJHL
The Canadian Junior Hockey League is a national organization comprised of all 10 Junior A hockey leagues in Canada.
The CJHL represents 132 teams and over 3,000 players and has just as many former players furthering their hockey careers at the professional, major junior and college level across North America.
For latest CJHL news and features, visit www.cjhlhockey.com and follow on Twitter at twitter.com/cjhlhockey or @cjhlhockey.