THUNDER BAY – LITERACY – The Northwestern Ontario Writers Workshop introduced new board members and announced various upcoming events at the Annual General Meeting on Tuesday, Sept. 20.
“I’m excited to announce that we have four new members joining the board,” said NOWW President Jane Crossman.
New board members include Charles Campbell as Treasurer, Sarah Mendek-Walker as Secretary, and members at large Donna White and Jodene Wylie.
The new directors join Crossman, Vice-President Susan Rogers, Regional Representative Dorothea Belanger, and members at large Heather Dickson, Alex Kosoris and Brandon Walker. Meagan Botterill is NOWW’s administrator.
“These new individuals will assist in planning the informative events that we hold each year for our members. A special thank you must go to those who have moved on from the board: Cathi Grandfield, Mike Bryan, and Sue Blott.”
Crossman said she is excited about the many workshops and events planned over the next few months.
“We have some exciting workshops coming up about spoken word, the business of writing, and our Write NOWW series featuring a panel discussing a topic of interest to our members,” she said, adding that NOWW is always looking for new members.
“If you’re writing or even thinking about starting to write, I encourage you to visit our website to learn more about what we do and how we can help you reach your goals,” Crossman said.
“It’s a great group of writers who help each other through networking and advice.”
Some events require registration in advance.
- Saturday, Oct. 1, 2-4 p.m. – Celebration of the Written Word, Part of Culture Days – Waverley Library Auditorium
- Tuesday, Oct. 11, 7-9 p.m. – Outloud: Speaking Volumes with Spoken Word, with Betty Carpick – MJL Black Library
- Friday, Oct. 21, 6:45–9 p.m. – Write NOWW panel on Poetry with Holly Haggarty, Siobhan Farrell and Dr. Scott Pound – Renaissance Café.
- Tuesday, Nov. 15, 7-9 p.m. – Reading: The theme is Eleven. Brodie Library Fireside
- Saturday, Nov. 19, 10 a.m.- 3 p.m. – The Business of Writing, with Jean Pendziwol & H. Leighton Dickson – Mary JL Black
- Dec 6, 7 p.m. – Reading: The theme is Shine Bright – Brodie Library Fireside Room.
- Dec 15, 8-11 p.m. – Social gathering – venue TBA
January – May 2017
- Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2017, 7 – 8:30 p.m. – David Silverberg, Performance poetry/spoken word workshop – MJL Black Library
- Saturday, May 13, 2017 – Literary Awards Party – Prince Arthur Hotel