Fire Destroys Shed at Shelter House

302
Shed at the Rotary Shelter House has been destroyed by fire
Shed at the Rotary Shelter House has been destroyed by fire

Shed at the Rotary Shelter House has been destroyed by fire
Shed at the Rotary Shelter House has been destroyed by fire

THUNDER BAY – An overnight fire at the Rotary Shelter House has destroyed the shed, along with the barbecue and lawnmower as well as the recently installed outdoor toilet.

There is no reported cause for the fire that Thunder Bay Fire Rescue responded to at about 3:00AM EDT on Thursday morning. The area around the fire remains behind fire tape.

Thunder Bay Fire Rescue was able, with a fast response to ensure that damage from the fire was limited to the shed and portable toilet. Two propane tanks inside the shed were not heated to a point of possible explosion.

The impact on the Shelter House is that a new barbecue along with a new lawnmower is going to be required.

This weekend at Shelter House Executive Director Gary Mack and Nishnawbe-Aski Nation Deputy Grand Chief Anna Betty Achneepineskum will be joined by concerned citizens for a fast and 48 Hours of Prayer outside Shelter House Thunder Bay this weekend to raise awareness about the homeless and vulnerable members of society while praying for the safety of students, women and girls, and all community members.

Portable toilet at Shelter House was also destroyed in the fire.
Portable toilet at Shelter House was also destroyed in the fire.

The portable toilet, which was installed several weeks ago, has provided a very needed place for people in the downtown especially in the evenings. Since the fire there are already incidents of people again using the back lanes in the downtown as a washroom.