THUNDER BAY – Looking for a fun way to treat the kids? Foodland Ontario shares this amazing idea.
- 1 lb (500 g) boneless skinless Ontario Chicken Breasts (about 2)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried panko crumbs or dried bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) paprika
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
Sweet and Sour Sauce (Makes 1-1/4 cups or 300 mL):
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) ketchup
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) each apple cider vinegar and peach jam
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) each apple juice and Ontario Liquid Honey
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice chicken lengthwise into 1/2-inch (1 cm) wide strips. Stir oregano with salt; sprinkle over chicken.
Place yogurt in a small bowl; set aside. Stir panko, paprika and oil in small bowl. Roll each chicken strip into spiral; insert small skewer through each to hold like lollipop. (End pieces will be smaller, so roll with another strip.) Brush chicken all over with yogurt. Dip into and sprinkle with panko mixture, pressing to adhere. Set on baking sheet. Bake in 425°F (220°C) oven until golden and no longer pink inside, 5 to 6 minutes a side.
Sweet and Sour Sauce:
In bowl, whisk together, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, peach jam, apple juice, honey, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Serve right away or transfer to air-tight container. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.)
Serve sweet and sour sauce with chicken lollipops.
Nutrients per serving
1 chicken lollipop with 1 tbsp/15 mL sauce:
- Protein: 10 grams
- Fat: 2 grams
- Carbohydrates: 9 grams
- Fibre: 0 grams
- Calories: 99