THUNDER BAY – At approximately 12:30 Wednesday, Thunder Bay Fire Rescue responded to a reported Structural Fire at a multiple occupancy building on Academy Drive. A 911 caller alerted fire dispatch about smoke in the apartment unit then a building fire alarm pull station was activated to alert and evacuate other residents within the structure.
The first-arriving fire crew was directed to a main floor apartment unit where they discovered smoke contained to a closed bedroom. Fire crews quickly extinguished a mattress fire within the unit, preventing it from spreading to other units. Crews then worked quickly to remove smoke from the building. Cause of the fire was determined to be carelessly discarded smoking materials.
There were no injuries due to this fire. Smoke was contained to only one apartment unit within the building. There were some contents within the apartment that suffered fire damage. The rest of the building’s occupants were allowed to return to their units within a short time after fire crews extinguished the fire. The cause of the fire was determined to be carelessly discarded smoking materials.
- Thunder Bay Fire Rescue reminds residents that it is the law to have working smoke alarms on every level of your home and outside all sleeping areas.
- Thunder Bay Fire Rescue reminds residents that Carbon Monoxide alarms are required to be installed outside any sleeping area if your home has a fuel fired appliance, a fireplace or an attached garage.