Kissimmee, Fla. – Suwanee, Georgia’s Seth Reeves maintained a two-stroke lead midway through the third round at Mackenzie Tour – PGA TOUR Canada qualifying school before play was suspended due to dangerous weather in the area at Reunion Resort and Spa’s Jack Nicklaus Signature Course.
The 25-year old, a former NCAA All-American at Georgia Tech, was 1-over par on his first nine holes to lead by two over Trevor Cone and Sam Love when play was suspended at 6:24 p.m. with lightning in the area.
Reeves led by two strokes over Cone entering the day after shooting rounds of 66-70 to open his quest to earn a Mackenzie Tour card, with the medalist this week earning fully exempt status for the 2016 season.
Prior to play being called for the day, Toronto, Ontario native Sebastian Szirmak shot a 4-under 68 to sit 3-under total for 54 holes, tied for fifth spot and representing the low Canadian in the field.
“I’ve played the course so many times and can visualize some great shots I’ve hit. It certainly helped me today to stay patient and wait for my opportunities,” stated Sebastian Szirmak on playing Q-School at his home course at Reunion.
“My ball-striking was awesome. I drove it nicely and hit my irons really well, which you have to do around here. I was steady around the green and got it done,” commented New Hamburg, Ontario’s Cam Burke, who carded a 3-under 69 in round three to move to T11 at 1-under.
“I stayed very patient and played great on the front, even though the score didn’t reflect it,” said Szirmak, who now calls Reunion his home course. The 26-year old shot 5-under 31 on his back nine to get into red figures for the tournament. “It takes great golf to get under par and it can all disappear in a moment. My mindset has been to stay patient and play the right shot knowing there will be a nine or 18 hole stretch of birdies”
Round three will resume Friday morning with players in position at 8:00 a.m. Round four will begin at 7:30 a.m. as scheduled, with competitors playing in the same groupings as round three.
PROJECTED SCORES FOR MACKENZIE TOUR STATUS:
1st (Exempt for 2016 season): -7/1st
16th (Exempt through 1st re-shuffle): E/T16
40th plus ties (Conditional status): +4/T38
KEY NUMBERS TO KNOW
35: Players left to complete round three on Friday.
11: Rounds recorded in the 60s so far during round three.
10: Rounds recorded in the 60s in rounds two and three.
- Weather: 27 degrees Celsius. Partly Cloudy with thundershowers moving in for the evening. Winds 11 km/h.
- Round three was suspended at 6:24 p.m. ET due to dangerous weather in the area. Round three will resume with players in position at 8 a.m., with round four beginning as scheduled at 7:30 a.m. Players will not be re-paired from round three groupings.
- Top Canadians at Q-School midway through round three: Sebastian Szirmak -3/T5, Cam Burke -1/T11, Drew Nesbitt +3/T30, Peter Campbell +4/T38
- 2015 NCAA All-Americans in the field this week: Trevor Cone -5/T2, Scott Vincent +2/T26, Max Rottluff -1/T11, J.T. Poston E/T16
- Former World No. 1 Amateur Cory Whitsett opened with an even-par 72 (T13).
- Click here for scores.