Kissimmee, Fla. – PGA GOLF – Suwanee, Georgia’s Seth Reeves carded a 2-under par 70 on Wednesday at Reunion Resort and Spa’s Jack Nicklaus Signature Course to extend his lead at Mackenzie Tour – PGA TOUR Canada qualifying school.
“The biggest key for me was just to stay more patient than I did yesterday. I tried to force the issue yesterday and it backfired on me. My goal was just to try to make it a little less stressful on myself and only be aggressive going to flags when it was beneficial,” stated T.J. Howe, who tied the round of the day with a 5-under 67 after opening with a 76 on Tuesday.
“I’ve actually been doing this thing where I don’t pay attention to the scores all week. I’ve been doing it since (Web.com Tour) Q-School last year, and I just go out and try to play the best that I can. The goal is to win; you don’t play to finish 16th in any other tournament.” commented Trevor Cone on his approach to Q-School this week.
The 25-year old followed up an opening round 66 with five birdies against three bogeys to reach 8-under total, leading by two shots over Concord, North Carolina’s Trevor Cone through two rounds.
“After going pretty low with a good round yesterday, following it up with another under par score today is pretty solid. I made a few mental mistakes, but that’s golf and overall I did everything just as well as yesterday.”
A former NCAA All-American at Georgia Tech, Reeves said he entered Mackenzie Tour Q-School as part of his journey to reach the PGA TOUR and join former Yellow Jackets and close friends Chesson Hadley and Cameron Tringale.
“I’d rather enjoy the journey of getting there than getting stressed out about not being there yet,” who faced off against the likes of Jordan Spieth, Justin Thomas and Daniel Berger over the course of his collegiate career. “I’ve learned to not really be jealous and just be excited for them, and know that I’m going to get there eventually and it’s going to be a blast.”
Thunder Bay will host the Mackenzie Tour PGA TOUR Canada Staal Foundation Open, presented by Tbaytel this summer at the fabulous Whitewater Golf Club.
PROJECTED SCORES FOR MACKENZIE TOUR STATUS:
1st (Exempt for 2016 season): -8/1st
16th (Exempt through 1st re-shuffle): +1/T16
40th plus ties (Conditional status): +3/T33
KEY NUMBERS TO KNOW
75.31: Tuesday’s scoring average at Reunion.
0: Players who were under par through 36 holes at Reunion when Q-School was played at the Nicklaus Course in 2014.
9: The number of players under par through 36 holes this week.
- Weather: 27 degrees Celsius. Sunny. Winds 19 km/h.
- Top Canadians through 36 holes: Sebastian Szirmak (+1/T16), Cam Burke (+2/T23), Andrew Jensen (+5/T48), Brett Cairns (+5/T48), Drew Nesbitt (+5/T48)
- In four seasons at Georgia Tech, Reeves was twice named an All-American and was an Academic All-American.
- Trevor Cone was named a Honorable Mention All-American last year along with fellow Virginia Tech teammate Scott Vincent, who is also in the field this week.
- 2015 NCAA All-Americans in the field this week: Trevor Cone (-6/2nd), Scott Vincent (+1/T16), J.T. Poston (+1/T16), Max Rottluff (+3/T33).
- Timothy Ailes recorded an ace on the par-3 16th with an 8-iron from 170 yards.
- Click here for scores.