FORT SEVERN – WEATHER – Environment Canada has issued Extreme Cold Warnings for Washaho Cree Nation / Fort Severn, and Peawanuck. Windchill values well below -40c are expected in the region.
Temperatures in Washaho will feel like -47C, while in Peawanuck tonight the wind chill will take temperatures down to -46C.
Extreme Cold Warning in effect for:
- Fort Severn
A prolonged period of very cold wind chills is expected.
Temperatures will continue to drop today and winds will increase giving wind chill values near minus 45 this afternoon into Friday.
Wear appropriate clothing.
– Always wear clothing appropriate for the weather. Synthetic and wool fabrics provide better insulation. Some synthetic fabrics are designed to keep perspiration away from your body which keep you dry and further reduce your risk.
– Dress in layers with a wind resistant outer layer. You can remove layers if you get too warm (before you start sweating) or add a layer if you get cold.
– Wear warm socks, gloves, a hat and scarf in cold weather. Be sure to cover your nose to protect it.
– If you get wet, change into dry clothing as soon as possible. You lose heat faster when you’re wet.
– Consuming alcohol before you go out in the cold may increase your risk of hypothermia because it increases blood flow to the extremities of the body. You may actually feel warm even though you are losing heat.