NIPIGON – CRIMEBEAT – Members of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Nipigon Detachment, with the assistance of the North West Region Crime Unit are investigating a domestic incident involving a 17-year-old victim. The incident occurred during the evening hours on October 23, 2014 at a residence in the Town of Nipigon where the victim was repeatedly assaulted. The victim was transported to hospital for injuries sustained in the assaults. The accused had fled from the scene on foot prior to police arrival.
On October 24, 2014 at approximately 15:45PM EDT. the male suspect was located and arrested behind a residence in Nipigon.
As a result of the ongoing investigation, the OPP have charged a 19-year-old male with:
- Attempt to Commit Murder;
- Two counts of Assault with a Weapon;
- Assault Causing Bodily Harm;
- Overcome Resistance by Attempting to Choke, Suffocate, or Strangle Another Person;
- Two counts of Uttering Threats to Cause Death or Bodily Harm; and
- Fail to Comply with a Probation Order contrary to the Criminal Code.
The name of the accused is being withheld to protect the identity of the victim. The individual remains in custody and is scheduled to appear at the Ontario Court of Justice in Thunder Bay on October 28, 2014.
The investigation is continuing. Anyone with information about this crime or any other crime is asked to contact the OPP at 1-888-310-1122 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.