THUNDER BAY – Road construction is continuing in Thunder Bay. Today, access to downtown Fort William is a little harder than usual as road crews are replacing damaged sections of road on Victoria Avenue and Brodie Street.
Across the downtown Fort William, crews are repairing damage to the roads and sidewalks.
Earlier this spring, a number of streetlights were removed as the bases were rusting out. One streetlight fell over at the corner of Brodie Street and Victoria Avenue East. After that, crews removed a number of other light posts which were checked and seen to be in similar condition.
Earlier this summer, crews took out some of the dead trees which were lining downtown Fort William streets.
A busy construction season continues in Thunder Bay. Current projects include road and sidewalk rehabilitation, residential paving, sewer and watermain repair/replacement, bridge work and streetlight renewal.
These projects are funded by the City’s Capital Budget including $8.25 million in the Enhanced Infrastructure Renewal Program, and some receive additional funding through the Federal Gas Tax Program.
Road work can result in road closures, detours and delays for drivers. Drivers should reduce their speed, be alert, watch for workers and drive with extra care in construction zones.
Temporary street closures for events will be in effect:
· Sunday, Sept. 14, from 10 am – 3 pm, Algoma Street from John Street to Gibson Street, for Open Streets Thunder Bay
· Sunday, Sept. 14, from 1:30 – 3 pm, West Lyon Blvd. from Algoma Street to Arundel Street (bridge), East Lyon Blvd. from Arundel Street (bridge) to Rita Street, and Arundel Street (bridge) – eastbound lane only – from West Lyon Blvd. to East Lyon Blvd., for the Terry Fox Run
· Sunday, Sept. 21, from 7:30 am – 2 pm, various locations in north and south Thunder Bay – watch local media for details closer to date, for Thunder Bay Marathon, Miles with the Giant
Road Work Ahead:
The following areas are scheduled for road and other major infrastructure work expected to affect traffic in September.
Sewer & Watermain Work
· Arthur Street between Edward Street and Tarbutt Street is scheduled for road reconstruction including watermain and storm sewer. The project will begin in early June and continue for
approximately 15 weeks. Work will proceed in stages over multi-block sections. One-lane traffic will apply in each direction through the construction zone. Please obey posted signage regarding left-turn restrictions.
· Sewer and watermain work on Conmee Street between Chamberlain Street and Oswald Street is underway. Please follow construction signs.
· Peter Street from Hebert Street to Dawson Street will be closed to traffic for sewer and watermain work.
· Whalen Street from River Street to the dead end will be restricted to local traffic only for the replacement of the existing watermain and repaving of the road.
· Sewer and watermain work will be underway on Harold Street from Victoria Avenue to Donald Street. Local traffic only. Please obey posted signage.
· May Street between Southern Avenue and Dease Street is scheduled for road reconstruction including watermain and sanitary sewer. The project will begin in early July and continue for approximately 16 weeks. Work will proceed in stages, beginning with the section of May Street between Southern Avenue and Finlayson Street. May Street will be completely closed in this section; please use posted detours. The intersection of May Street & Southern Avenue will be closed to through traffic during the early stages of this construction.
· Reconstruction of the Court Street Bridge is underway. The bridge will be closed for the duration of the construction, likely into October. Please follow posted detours.
· The City’s bi-annual bridge inspection program is underway for 2014. Engineers will be inspecting all the pedestrian and vehicular bridges in the City, and traffic lanes may be closed for short durations as the work progresses.
Road, Street Lighting & Sidewalk Improvements
· On Golf Links Road between Oliver Road and Linden Court, construction work involving widening the road to four lanes, and installation of sidewalks, trails, and underground storm sewers and watermains is taking place. Additional work will also be undertaken by utility companies on this corridor. The roadway will be closed to through traffic and a detour posted. Local access will be available to residential subdivisions, and hospital access will be maintained.
· Valley Street reconstruction and widening continues between Masters Street and Carl Avenue. Watch for lane closures as work proceeds. Please obey posted signs.
· London Drive between East Avenue and Market Street is scheduled for full road reconstruction. Local access only. Some driveway disruption is expected.
· Road reconstruction work on Leslie Avenue between Lillian Street and Arundel Street is underway. Watch for road closures as work proceeds. Some driveway disruption is expected.
· Resurfacing of Conmee Street between Oswald Street and Albany Street is underway. Some driveway disruption is expected. Watch for lane closures as work proceeds.
· Replacement work to the traffic signal ducts at the Red River Road & Junot Avenue intersection is underway. There will be lane closures as the work proceeds. Traffic signals will remain in operation. Motorists are requested to use alternate routes during peak traffic periods until the underground construction is complete.
· Traffic signal rebuild will be occurring at the intersection of Red River Road & Algonquin Avenue. Lane closures will be necessary as the work proceeds.
· Sidewalk replacement on Grey Street, Kingsway Avenue, Lambton Place, Moodie Street, Harold Street, North Street, Isabella Street, Syndicate Avenue, McGregor Street and Archibald Street is proceeding. Local traffic only during work periods. Interruptions to driveway access may occur.
· Work on Red River Road retaining walls near Waverley Avenue is underway. Watch for traffic lane closures as the work proceeds
· Road resurfacing at the intersections of Red River Road & Algoma Street, and Victoria Avenue & Brodie Street will commence shortly. Watch for lane/road closures and disruptions to local access as work proceeds.
· Road resurfacing work is expected to start on Begin Street between Waterloo Street and Ford Street. Watch for road closures as work proceeds. Some driveway disruption is expected.
The above list includes major, traffic-affecting construction only. Additional work, including sidewalk replacements and curb and gutter repairs, is scheduled for residential areas and other locations around the city. The schedule is subject to change.