THUNDER BAY – Road Construction – It is often said there are two seasons in Thunder Bay, winter, and construction season. This year there is a lot of road construction in Thunder Bay. Many streets are closed as a result. May Street is closed at Northern Avenue with a short detour. Arthur Street isn’t closed, but road work is ongoing.
The following areas are scheduled for road and other major infrastructure work expected to affect traffic from July 3 to August 7.
Temporary street closures will be in effect:
- Sunday, July 6 from noon to 1 pm, Hilldale Road from 321 Hilldale Rd. (Hilldale Lutheran Church) to 123 Hilldale Rd. (St. Anthony’s Church), rolling closure with police assistance, for the Celebration of the Holy Spirit Procession
- Every Wednesday from July 9 to August 27 from 4 – 9:30 pm, Sleeping Giant Parkway from Pearl Street to Saul Laskin Drive, Saul Laskin Drive from Bobby Curtola Drive South to Bobby Curtola Drive North, and Bobby Curtola Drive from Saul Laskin Drive to Marina Park Overpass, for Summer in the Parks
- Sunday, July 13 from 9 am to 2 pm, Algoma Street from John Street to Red River Road, partial closure of Algoma Street from Red River Road to Camelot Street with west side northbound lane closed only (east side northbound lane will be reserved for vehicular access to St. Joseph’s Care Group), Algoma Street from Camelot Street to Gibson Street, and West Lyon Blvd. from Algoma Street to Arundel Street, for Open Streets Thunder Bay
- Tuesday, July 15 from 9 am to 5 pm, Brunswick Street from Arthur Street to McGregor Avenue, for the Teddy Bears Picnic
- Tuesday, July 15 from 3 – 9 pm, Bobby Curtola Drive from Marina Park Overpass to Prince Arthur’s Landing, and Saul Laskin Drive from Bobby Curtola Drive to Bobby Curtola Drive, for Festival of India
- Friday, July 18 at 11 am to Saturday, July 19 at 11 am, Lincoln Street from the closed-off area of the Casino up to and not blocking the driveway to the Church, for PGA Cut Party
- Saturday, July 19 from 7 am to 5 pm, Queen Street from Fort William Road to Memorial Avenue, and Fort William Road from south of Queen Street to the dead end (north), for the Fat Guys Auto Parts Car Show
- Saturday, July 26 from 10 am to 6 pm, and Sunday, July 27 from 10 am to 6 pm, Bay Street from Secord Street to Algoma Street, and Bay Street from Algoma Street to Machar Avenue *Algoma Street will remain open*, for the Valley Fresh Buskers Festival
- Sunday, Aug. 3 at noon to Monday, Aug. 4 at 1 am, and Monday, Aug. 4 at noon to Tuesday, Aug. 5 at 1 am, Algoma Street from Dufferin Street to 130 metres south of Dufferin Street, for Festa Italiana
Road Work Ahead:
The following are areas scheduled for road and other major infrastructure work expected to affect traffic this month.
Sewer & Watermain Work
- Arthur Street between Edward Street and Tarbutt Street is scheduled for road reconstruction including watermain and storm sewer. The project will begin in early June and continue for approximately 15 weeks. Work will proceed in stages over multi-block sections. One-lane traffic will apply in each direction through the construction zone. Please obey posted signage regarding left-turn restrictions. During the early stage of the project, the Edward Street intersection will be closed to north-south through traffic.
- Sewer and watermain work is underway on Frankwood Street from Oliver Road to Hartland Street. Local traffic only. Please obey posted signage.
- Cornwall Avenue from Algoma Street to Crown Street will be closed to traffic for sewer and watermain work.
- Sewer and watermain work on Conmee Street between Chamberlain Street and Oswald Street is underway. Please follow construction signs.
- Sewer and watermain work will be underway on Harold Street from Victoria Avenue to Donald Street. Local traffic only. Please obey posted signage.
- May Street between Southern Avenue and Dease Street is scheduled for road reconstruction including watermain and sanitary sewer. The project will begin in early July and continue for approximately 16 weeks. Work will proceed in stages, beginning with the section of May Street between Southern Avenue and Finlayson Street. May Street will be completely closed in this section; please use posted detours. The intersection of May Street & Southern Avenue will be closed to through traffic during the early stages of this construction.
- Cleaning and cement mortar lining of existing cast iron watermains will be completed over an eight-week period on the following streets: Dundas Street, Brunswick Street, Cummings Street, Robinson Drive, Melon Street, Stardust Crescent, Lyle Street, Jewell Street and Wishart Crescent. This construction will not involve street closures. Please watch for construction activity and drive with caution.
- Reconstruction of the Court Street Bridge is underway. The bridge will be closed for the duration of the construction, likely into October. Please follow posted detours.
- The City’s bi-annual bridge inspection program is underway for 2014. Engineers will be inspecting all the pedestrian and vehicular bridges in the City, and traffic lanes may be closed for short durations as the work progresses.
Road, Street Lighting & Sidewalk Improvements
- On Golf Links Road between Oliver Road and Linden Court, construction work involving widening the road to four lanes, and installation of sidewalks, trails, and underground storm sewers and watermains will take place. Additional work will also be undertaken by utility companies on this corridor. The roadway will be closed to through traffic and a detour posted. Local access will be available to residential subdivisions, and hospital access will be maintained.
- Valley Street reconstruction and widening is underway between Masters Street and Carl Avenue. Some driveway disruption is expected. Starting July 14, Valley Street will be closed from John Street to Hutton Park Drive for a two-week period. Please follow posted detour signs.
- Pavement resurfacing work continues on Broadway Avenue between Kerega Road and 25th Sideroad. Watch for road closures with local access only as work proceeds.
- Hutton Park Drive between Saxon Drive and Mercier Street is scheduled for road resurfacing and sidewalk work. Watch for lane closures or road closures with access to local traffic only as work proceeds. Some driveway disruption is expected.
- Road resurfacing work on Vickers Street between Victoria Avenue and Donald Street will continue. As part of this work, the traffic signals at the intersection of Vickers Street & Victoria Avenue will be rehabilitated. Watch for lane closures as work proceeds.
- Resurfacing of Conmee Street between Oswald Street and Albany Street is underway. Some driveway disruption is expected. Watch for lane closures as work proceeds.
- Residential paving is slated for Grenville Avenue, Suncrest Place, Dorothy Street, Secord Street, Christina Street, Crawford Avenue, Ford Street, McNaughton Street and Hargrave Street. Watch for brief road closures to through traffic.
- New sidewalk installation on Golf Links Road south of Harbour Expressway may result in lane closures as the work proceeds. Please drive with caution and obey signage.
- Sidewalk replacement projects on sections of River Street, Madeline Street, College Street and McIntyre Street are anticipated. These will result in some traffic lane/road closures and disruptions to local access as the work proceeds.