THUNDER BAY – There are, as many have said, two seasons in Thunder Bay. Winter and Construction season. Road construction in Thunder Bay this summer is in full tilt. One of the ways to reduce traffic angst, is to know what areas there will be construction, so people can avoid them.
Construction projects underway in Thunder Bay can result in road closures, detours and delays for drivers. Watch for signage and please drive with extra care in construction zones. Projects include road and sidewalk rehabilitation, sanitary and storm sewer and water main replacements, bridge work and streetlight renewal. These projects are funded by the City’s Capital Budget and some receive additional funding in part through the Federal Gas Tax Program.
The following areas are scheduled for road and other major infrastructure work expected to affect traffic during the period from July 21, until August 18, 2011.
Temporary street closures will be in effect:
·Friday, July 29 from 6 am until 8 pm, Red River Road from Court Street to Cumberland Street (not including intersections), and St. Paul Street from Red River Road to Van Norman Street and Cooke Street from St. Paul Street to Court Street will be closed for the Waterfront District Street Fair.
· Friday, July 29 from 4 am to 7 pm, Park Avenue from Court Street to Cumberland Street will be closed for the Harley Davidson HOG Event.
· Sunday, July 31 at noon until Monday, Aug. 1 at 1 am and Monday, Aug. 1 at noon until Tuesday, Aug. 2 and 1 am, Algoma Street from Dufferin Street to 130 metres south of Dufferin Street will be closed for Festa Italiana.
Road Work Ahead:
Sewer & Watermain Work
· River Road from Marks Street to the dead end will be closed to through traffic to allow for servicing existing houses with a newly installed watermain. Parking restrictions and lane closures will occur.
· Hester Street between Winnipeg Avenue and Ontario Street will be closed to local traffic to allow for reconstruction of the watermain complete with new ditching and resurfacing.
· Matthews Street from Blaquier to Huron Avenue will be closed to allow for the reconstruction of the sanitary sewer complete with new curb and gutter where necessary and resurfacing.
· Egan Street from Court Street to Algoma Street will be closed for the reconstruction of the watermain and sanitary sewer, complete with new curb and gutter and full road restoration.
· Walsh Street between Leland Avenue and Beaverhall Place is scheduled for watermain, storm sewer and road paving. Local access only through the construction area.
· Brodie Street between Ridgeway Street and Donald Street is scheduled for sewer and water replacement and road repaving. The street will be closed to traffic. City Transit using Brodie Street will be temporarily re-routed during the construction.
· Cleaning and cement mortar lining of existing cast iron watermains is underway in Mariday Park. The area bound by Red River in the north, High Street in the east, John Street in the south and Rupert Street in the west is presently under construction. Please watch for traffic signage.
· Rehabilitation work on James Street Bridge will continue through the construction season. During construction, traffic will be narrowed to two lanes, and left turns on Riverside Drive and Parkway Drive may be restricted. Please follow posted detour and construction signage as required.
Road, Street Lighting & Sidewalk Improvements
· Dawson Street from Jean Street to Peter Street will be closed from time to time to allow for top lift paving and driveway restoration.
· Rosslyn Road between Glenoah Avenue and the 20th Sideroad is scheduled for water valve replacement and road paving. Some one lane flagging around the construction area is expected as work proceeds.
· Intersections at Valley Street/ Pioneer Drive and Sherwood Drive/Jameson Street are under construction for underground and road widening work. Road closures will be in effect. Follow posted construction signs.
· The Red River Road and Cumberland Street intersection is slated for traffic signal rebuild. The intersection will be placed on a temporary four-way stop control during construction. Other lane closures and sidewalk closures are possible during the construction staging.
· Road reconstruction on Hogarth Street, Hogarth Place and Hinton Avenue is scheduled in Grandview Gardens. Local access only, driveway interruptions are possible. Work includes road base, curbing, sidewalk, lighting and paving.
· A sidewalk replacement project is scheduled for McIntosh Street and sidewalk work will be done on Gibson Avenue.
· Sidewalk replacement is ongoing on East Frederica Street. The sidewalk will be closed during construction and some driveway access will be disrupted. Parking restrictions and lane closures may occur.
· Miscellaneous paving repair on sections of Edward Street, James Street and Balmoral Street. Watch for construction signage and temporary lane closures.
The above list includes major, traffic-affecting construction only. Work including sidewalk replacements is also proceeding in residential areas and other areas around the City. The schedule is subject to change.