MANITOUWADGE – On September 25, 2017, at approximately 11:50 p.m. officers of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Manitouwadge detachment received a report regarding a motor vehicle driving recklessly at high rates of speed and squealing tires in the Township of Manitouwadge.
Officers patrolled the area and located a black and white pickup truck in the parking lot of the golf course. The vehicle appeared to be fish-tailing and spinning its wheels in the gravel lot. The vehicle left the parking lot and a traffic stop was attempted. The vehicle immediately accelerated and failed to stop for police. The vehicle came to a stop on a dead-end street. The vehicle was blocked in by police and the driver was ordered out of the vehicle. After further investigation, it was determined that the driver was impaired by alcohol.
As a result, the 28-year-old male driver, Jamie Jean-Guy BELLEROSE of Manitouwadge, ON was arrested and charged with:
- Driving with More than 80 mgs of Alcohol in Blood, CC 253(1)(b)
- Driving While Ability Impaired by Alcohol, CC 253(1)(a)
- Flight while Pursued by Police, CC 249.1(1)
- Fail to Comply with Probation Order, CC 733.1(1)
- Possess Schedule II substance, Cannabis Marihuana under 30gr, CDSA 4(1)
- Disobey Stop Sign-Fail to Stop, HTA 136(1)(a)
- Novice Drive-B.A.C. Above Zero, HTA 44.1(3)
- Drive Motor Vehicle in Contravention of Conditions, HTA 32(9)
- Disobey Sign, HTA 182(2)
- Drive Motor Vehicle no Plates, HTA 7(1)(b i)
- Operate a Motor Vehicle without Insurance. CAIA 2(1)(a)
The male was later released on a Promise to Appear with a court date of November 8, 2017 at the Ontario Court of Justice in Manitouwadge to answer to the charges.
Motorists who drive impaired by alcohol or drugs are subject to drivers license suspensions, vehicle impoundments, criminal records and increased insurance costs. Please drive responsibly and don’t drink and drive.
The public is encouraged to call 911 or contact police at 1-800-310-1122 whenever suspecting that a driver is impaired while operating a motor vehicle whether it is a Car, Truck, Motorcycle, ATV, Snowmobile, Boat or even an Airplane.