SIJHL Fort Frances Lakers and Thunder Bay North Stars Climb
THUNDER BAY – The weekly Canadian Junior Hockey League rankings released today see the surging SIJHL Fort Frances Lakers making a big move into the top 10 while the Thunder Bay North Stars also remained among the nation’s elite.
Winners of eight consecutive games and sitting in first place in the Superior International Junior Hockey League standings, the 9-1-0-1 Lakers were tabbed sixth nationally in the CJHL top 20, which are compiled each week in conjunction with NHL Central Scouting.
The 7-1-0-1 North Stars meanwhile, who are in second spot in the SIJHL, garnered 15th place in the weekly listings.
A trio of western clubs grabbed the top three places in the rankings with the AJHL Fort McMurray Oil Barons at No. 1 followed by the MJHL’s Steinbach Pistons and the SIJHL’s Kindersley Klippers in third.
There were a total of eight Dudley-Hewitt Cup-eligible teams that earned a ranking or honourable mention this week.
They include Fort Frances Lakers and Thunder Bay along with the Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL), Wellington Dukes (OJHL), Buffalo Jr. Sabres (OJHL), Toronto Lakeshore Patriots (OJHL), Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOJHL) and the Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL).
CJHL TOP 20
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) (LAST WEEK’S RANKING)
1. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) (1)
2. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (4)
3. Kindersley Klippers (SJHL) (10)
4. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (8)
5. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (2)
6. Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL) (HM)
7. Powell River Kings (BCHL) (6)
8. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (12)
9. Wellington Dukes (OJHL) (9)
10. Selkirk Steelers (MJHL) (HM)
11. Titan de Princeville (LHJAAAQ) (HM)
12. Carleton Place Canadiens (CCHL) (17)
13. West Kelowna Warriors (BCHL) (HM)
14. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (HM)
15. Thunder Bay North Stars (NOJHL) (3)
16. Les Cougars de Sherbrooke (LHJAAAQ) (6)
17. Buffalo Jr. Sabres (OJHL) (16)
18. Yarmouth Jr. A Mariners (MHL) (18)
19. Toronto Lakeshore Patriots (OJHL) (19)
20. Yorkton Terriers (SJHL) (NR)
Honourable Mention: Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOJHL), Langley Rivermen (BCHL), Vernon Vipers (BCHL), Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL), Cornwall Colts (CCHL).
ABOUT THE RANKINGS
The CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.
ABOUT THE CJHL
The Canadian Junior Hockey League is a national organization comprised of all 10 Junior A hockey leagues in Canada.
The CJHL represents more than 120 teams and 2,500 players and has over 2,800 former players furthering their hockey careers at the professional, major junior and college level across North America.