Heat Warning Issued for Red Lake: High Temperatures and Humidex Values

1313
Heat Warning

As of 5:10 AM CDT on Thursday, July 11, 2024, Red Lake is experiencing shallow fog with a temperature of 14.6°C. The dew point is at 12.9°C, resulting in a humidity level of 90%. Winds are light from the south at 4 km/h, and the barometric pressure is 101.6 kPa. Visibility is good at 16 km.

Heat Warning in Effect

Prolonged Heat Forecast

A significant heat event is set to begin today and continue through the weekend in Red Lake. A much warmer air mass is arriving over northwestern Ontario, bringing daytime highs near 30°C and humidex values around 35°C. Nighttime temperatures will remain warm, around 19°C, offering little relief. A cooler air mass is expected to arrive Sunday night.

Health Precautions

Extreme heat can affect everyone’s health, particularly vulnerable groups such as children, the elderly, and those with pre-existing health conditions. To stay safe:

  • Stay Hydrated: Drink water regularly, even if you don’t feel thirsty, to prevent dehydration.
  • Schedule Wisely: Plan outdoor activities for the cooler parts of the day.
  • Check Vehicles: Never leave children or pets inside parked vehicles.

Today’s Detailed Forecast

Morning to Afternoon

Today will be sunny with winds becoming southwest at 30 km/h, gusting to 50 km/h this morning. The high temperature will reach 30°C, with a humidex of 35°C. The UV index is very high at 8, necessitating sun protection.

Evening

Tonight will remain clear, becoming partly cloudy after midnight. Winds from the southwest at 30 km/h, gusting to 50 km/h, will become light late in the evening. The low will be 21°C, maintaining warm overnight conditions.

Upcoming Days

Friday, July 12

Friday will bring a mix of sun and cloud with a 40% chance of showers and a risk of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Winds will become north at 20 km/h in the afternoon. The high will reach 31°C, with a humidex of 36°C. The UV index will be high at 7. Overnight, expect cloudy periods with a 60% chance of showers and a low of 19°C.

Saturday, July 13

Saturday will be cloudy with a 60% chance of showers and a high of 28°C. The night will have cloudy periods with a 30% chance of showers and a low of 17°C.

Sunday, July 14

Sunday will see sunny skies with a high of 26°C. The night will have cloudy periods with a 30% chance of showers and a low of 16°C.

Historical Weather Trivia

On this date, Red Lake’s record high temperature was 32.5°C, set in 1961. The record low was a cool 6.0°C, recorded in 1985.

What to Wear

Given the high temperatures and sunny conditions, light, breathable clothing is recommended. A wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses are essential for sun protection. Don’t forget to apply sunscreen with a high SPF to protect your skin from UV rays.

Red Lake Weather Trivia

Did you know? Red Lake, known for its rich history in gold mining, experiences a humid continental climate with warm summers and cold winters. This northern Ontario community is also a gateway to the vast wilderness of Woodland Caribou Provincial Park, offering excellent opportunities for outdoor activities.

Previous articleWeather Forecast for Kitchenuhmaykoosib Inninuwug, Bearskin Lake, Sachigo Lake, Kasabonika, and Sandy Lake
Next articleHeat Warning Issued for Marten Falls: High Temperatures and Humidex Values