Ukraine’ Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba stated today, that “The number of foreigners who have signed up to fight for Ukraine in its war against Russia is approaching 20,000, and that the volunteers are from 52 countries”.
Foreign Minister Kuleba made the statement at a Sunday news conference.
Last week, Ukraine President Zelensky created Ukraine’s International League of Territorial Defence.
Last Thursday, President Volodymyr Zelensky stated in a video posted to Telegram “16,000 foreigners had volunteered to join an International Legion and fight alongside Ukraine.”
In his statement, Foreign Kuleba also lashed out at countries and companies who “Undermine the Western-led response to Ukraine’s invasion by helping Moscow avoid sanctions by trying to sit on two chairs at the same time”.
Eight Russian cruise missiles hit Vinnytsia, a large city far from the frontline. Putin continues his cowardly & barbaric missile strikes, air bombardment of civilians. Help us close the sky and save lives! Provide air and missile defense, combat aircraft! Stop Russian terrorism! pic.twitter.com/oXXoYrxr4m
— Dmytro Kuleba (@DmytroKuleba) March 6, 2022
Instructions on how to join the Legion
- Contact the Embassy of Ukraine in Canada (it can be either military attaché or consul).
- Find out what documents and equipment you may need.
Traditionally, they are: ID or passport (national); passport for foreign travel; documents confirming military service experience (service in law enforcement) and combat experience; other documents on the instructions of a military attache or consul.
- Gather all the necessary documentation and come back to the embassy to pass the interview with a defense attaché and deal with the visa question with a consul.
- Apply for joining the territorial defense of the Armed Forces of Ukraine for contracted military service on the voluntary basis in a writing form (defense attaché provides assistance).
- Get provided with the instructions for traveling to Ukraine, documents, and the gear.
- Cross into Ukraine, previously having contacted the representatives of the Ukrainian embassy in Canada.
- Upon arrival, conclude a contract with the International Legion of Territorial Defense of Ukraine, and together with the Ukrainian soldiers keep fighting against the Russian army.
Article is provided by representatives of Kyiv-Mohyla University who have made their services available to provide accurate, timely, on-the-ground reporting about the war in Ukraine, including nuanced localized ongoing updates on what is happening across the country, as well as commentary and analysis.