Thunder Bay – NEWS – Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding the discharge of firearms at a man in a vehicle in Dryden.
- At approximately 9:24 pm CDT, on September 30, 2021, the Dryden Police Service responded to a call for a disturbance at a residence on Highway 17.
- Officers saw a man outside the residence. The man entered a vehicle and drove into a police vehicle.
- Officers discharged their firearms at the man in the vehicle.
- The man was taken into custody.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations