Red Lake #49 – Fire Update #5 August 14, 2020

Wildfire Update

RED LAKE – Fire Update – Mother Nature could be coming to the aid of firefighters battling Red Lake #49. While there is an air quality alert for the region issued by Environment Canada, rain is likely to alleviate the situation.

Special air quality statement in effect for:

  • Red Lake – Woodland Caribou Park

Elevated pollution levels are expected or occurring.

Possible high levels of air pollution due to smoke from forest fires are expected today. Smoke plumes moving over northern Ontario from forest fires near Red Lake and Fort Hope will likely affect nearby regions. Air quality may deteriorate if the smoke descends to ground level.

Air quality may improve somewhat Saturday near Red Lake due to expected rainfall tonight.

Today the weather in Red Lake is calling for showers and the possibility of thunderstorms this afternoon.

The Weather Service says to expect a few showers ending this morning then mainly cloudy conditions with a 40 percent chance of showers this morning and early this afternoon. A few showers with thunderstorms beginning this afternoon.

There is the risk of a thunderstorm early this morning. Local smoke. High 22. Humidex 28. UV index 6 or high.

Heading into Saturday the forecast for Friday evening is calling for more showers with thunderstorms. Local smoke. Local amount 30 to 40 mm. Wind becoming northwest 30 km/h gusting to 50 late this evening. Low 16.

On Saturday, mainly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of showers early in the morning and 70 percent chance of showers in the afternoon. There will be a risk of a thunderstorm in the afternoon. Winds northwest 30 km/h gusting to 50 becoming light in the morning. Winds becoming west 20 gusting to 40 in the afternoon. The forecast high for Saturday is 21. UV index 5 or moderate.

Earlier Updates:

Red Lake #49 Update 1

Red Lake #49 Update 2

Red Lake #49 Update 3

Red Lake #49 Update 4

Previous articleAugust 14, 2020 – Ontario Premier Ford and Education Minister Lecce Media Conference
Next articleToronto COVID-19 Update: Up to 550 People May Have been Exposed to Virus at Brass Rail Tavern or NNL offers news, information, opinions and positive ideas for Thunder Bay, Ontario, Northwestern Ontario and the world. NNL covers a large region of Ontario, but we are also widely read around the country and the world. To reach us by email: Reach the Newsroom: (807) 355-1862