Death Toll in China Rises to 213 People
Chinese health authorities announced early on Friday that a total of 213 people have died as a result of novel coronavirus. Authorities stated there are now 9,692 confirmed cases of pneumonia caused by the novel coronavirus that has been reported by the 31 provincial-level regions, and the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps by the end of Thursday.
China’s National Health Commission that 1,527 patients remained in critical condition and 15,238 people are suspected of being infected with the virus as of the end of Thursday.
Through Thursday authorities have reported 1,982 new confirmed cases, 4,812 new suspected cases, and 43 additional deaths — 42 in Hubei Province and one in Heilongjiang Province. Additionally, on Thursday, 157 patients became seriously ill. There were however 47 people who were discharged from the hospital after recovery. The Health Commission reports that a total of 171 people had been discharged from the hospital after recovery.
A total of 113,579 close contacts had been traced, the commission said, adding that among them, 4,201 were discharged from medical observation on Thursday, with 102,427 others still under medical observation.
By the end of Thursday, 12 confirmed cases had been reported in Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, seven in Macau Special Administrative Region and nine in Taiwan.
The novel coronavirus outbreak has been declared a public health emergency of international concern by the World Health Organization.
The Declaration came after an emergency committee that reconvened Thursday in Geneva.
There are now 7711 confirmed and 12167 suspected cases throughout the country. Of the confirmed cases, 1370 are severe and 170 people have died. 124 people have recovered and been discharged from the hospital.
NetNewsLedger Verified Facts
Toronto – Medical Officer Says City has Learned from 2009 SARS and Apply Lessons to Coronavirus
Ontario Confirms Second Presumptive Case
Statement from Federal Minister of Health Patty Hajdu
Coronavirus Update – January 26, 2020 – China Says 56 Dead
Coronavirus – Confirmed Case in Ontario
Ontario Creates Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) Website
The WHO Secretariat provided an overview of the situation in other countries.
There are now 82 cases in 18 countries. Of these, only 7 had no history of travel in China. There has been human-to-human transmission in 3 countries outside China. One of these cases is severe and there have been no deaths.
The Committee welcomed the leadership and political commitment of the very highest levels of Chinese government authorities, their commitment to transparency, and the efforts made to investigate and contain the current outbreak. China quickly identified the virus and shared its sequence, so that other countries could diagnose it quickly and protect themselves, which has resulted in the rapid development of diagnostic tools.
The very strong measures the country has taken include daily contact with WHO and comprehensive multi-sectoral approaches to prevent further spread. It has also taken public health measures in other cities and provinces; is conducting studies on the severity and transmissibility of the virus and sharing data and biological material. The country has also agreed to work with other countries that need their support. The measures China has taken are good not only for that country but also for the rest of the world.
The Committee acknowledged the leading role of WHO and its partners.
Northern Ontario Updates
Ontario Regional Chief RoseAnne Archibald states, “My office and the Chiefs of Ontario are well aware of the current status of the Coronavirus and are staying on top of the information regarding the virus and its spread.
“We will continue to be engaged and actively monitor the situation by receiving daily updates in collaboration with provincial and national health agencies as to the status of what is now a current public health emergency.
“I also acknowledge and thank the many organizations that are supporting and working with First Nations during this declared emergency, including: the Assembly of First Nations, Nishnawbe Aski Nation, Association of Iroquois and Allied Indians, Grand Council Treaty # 3, Anishinabek Nation, Mushkegowuk Council, other Tribal Councils and Health Authorities. It’s important to note that as of today’s date, the risk to Canadians, and First Nations residents and communities currently remain low. During a time of crisis it is important to be prepared and know that we are calmly working together to protect the First Nation citizens that we all serve.”
Measures you can take to reduce the risk of influenza and other respiratory infections include:
• Clean your hands frequently and thoroughly with soap and water, or use alcohol-based hand sanitizer
• Cover your mouth and nose when you cough and sneeze
• If you don’t have a tissue, sneeze or cough into your sleeve or arm
• Stay at home if you are sick.
On the Video: Thunder Bay-Rainy River MP Dr. Marcus Powlowski was before the House of Commons Standing Committee and questioned Canada’s Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Theresa Tam on the Canadian response to the outbreak of the Coronavirus.