THUNDER BAY – Are you looking for a new challenge? The Agoke Development Corporation might have that opportunity for you.
Position: Woodlands Operations Supervisor (full-time)
Contract: One-year contract with possibility of renewal
Salary: Pay will be commensurate with experience and ability
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario and/or Municipality of Greenstone
ABOUT THE AGOKE DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION
The Agoke Development Corporation (ADC) is a leading forestry company that is owned and operated by the FirstNations of Aroland, Eabametoong and Marten Falls. One of ADC’s priorities is the implementation of a Forestry WorkforceStrategy to support the increased participation in the forest sector by First Nations members through education, training and employment initiatives. ADC holds a forest resource licence and forestry agreement for the management of the OgokiForest in Northwestern Ontario. In 2019, ADC was recognized at the Northern Ontario Business Awards as First NationBusiness of the year for excellence in forest management and business development.
ABOUT THE POSITION
We are looking for a Woodland Operations Supervisor. Reporting to the Agoke General Manager, duties will includecoordinating of contractor-based harvest operations and contributing to the woodland team forest operations planning.The Woodlands Operations Supervisor provides professional, technical and administrative services in the areas of Operational Forest Development, Harvesting, and Road Construction.
Prior experience in logging and hauling would be an asset at Agoke, we believe in giving our First Nations members a challenge they can rise to. We are looking for individuals who are interested in career advancement for progressionthrough various aspects of our business.
This position will require an individual who is:
- Able to work in remote area with flexible work arrangements;
- Able to supervise activities consistent with legislative and mill volume requirements, and allow efficient access to wood supply;
- Adaptable to change and can manage multi projects and targets while providing active contractor supervision.
- Carry out the operational planning for full phase cutting permit development to meet
Agoke’s Timber Inventory objectives.
- Implement harvesting and road construction plans and ensuring plan consistency and
- Provide contract management, contractor supervision, liaison with government officials and coordination withplanning and
- Perform daily coordination of forest operations, including road building, harvesting and log hauling to meet theneeds of the Nakina Lumber and Columbia Forest Products and external mill
- Ensure that production, quality, environmental and legal requirements are met in a safe and cost-effective
- Conduct safety and environment audits on
- Assist in the development and implementation of Annual Work Plans for the Agoke forest
- Work with the Agoke Workforce Development Team in developing and implementation training programs andon-the-job training, placement and
- Manage the Agoke Contractor/Training Camp in the Ogoki
- Other related
- Have recognized forestry or business training (degree, diploma, certificates), or equivalent operationsexperience;
- Have acquired a minimum of 3-5 years of experience in operations environment;
- Familiar with the use of Microsoft Office and GPS technology;
- Understanding of the legislative requirements affecting forest management in Ontario and the OntarioOccupational Health and Safety
- Required to work outdoors in a variety of weather and terrain
- Valid Driver’s
ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
- Understanding of First Nations culture, and expectations related to economic development;
- Have the ability to work independently with minimal supervision and in a team environment;
- Strong beliefs and behaviors in safety and environmental values and results;
- Demonstrate a willingness to learn and a positive attitude;
- Ability to develop strong business relationship and produce positive results with clients and contractors;
- Have leadership skills, be motivated to produce high-quality deliverable products, and be flexible andadaptable to a variety of work
- Ability to work independently and expeditiously and make decisions, exert judgment and work withconfidential/sensitive information under tight timeframes and competing priorities with tact and flexibility
A competitive compensation package is offered for this exciting and challenging position. If you are qualified andattracted to working in a dynamic and progressive for-profit company, please provide your resume in confidence byDecember 13, 2019.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit cover letter with resume and (3) employment references to: Agoke DevelopmentCorporation
RE: WOODLANDS OPERATIONS SUPERVISOR
231 Red River Road, Suite 105, Thunder Bay ON P7B 1A7 Or Fax to: (807) 700-1446
Closing Date: Friday, December 13, 2019, 4:30 pm (EST)
Only those candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted.