THUNDER BAY – The Ontario Provincial Police have been dealing with a number of drivers racing at high-speed on our highways. In these two incidents from the weekend, both drivers also face charges from intoxicating substances. One from having cannabis readily available, and the other from alcohol.
First on April 27, 2019, at approximately 9:00 pm officers from the Ontario Provincial Police Ignace Detachment stopped a motor vehicle travelling at a high rate of speed on Highway 17, approximately 25 km East of Ignace.
As a result of the traffic stop, Police learned that the motor vehicle was stolen and Robert VIRTUE, 50 years old of Calgary, AB has been charged with the following offences:
- Race a Motor Vehicle – Stunt Driving contrary to s. 172(1) of the Highway Traffic Act,
- Drive a Motor Vehicle – No Licence contrary to s. 32(1) of the Highway Traffic Act,
- Use plate not authorized contrary to s 12(1) (d) of the Highway Traffic Act,
- Drive vehicle with cannabis readily available contrary to s 12(1) contrary to the Cannabis Control Act,
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime Under $5000 X 4 contrary to s 354(1) (a) of the Criminal Code,
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime Over $5000 contrary to s. 354 (1) (a) of the Criminal Code.
The accused was held in custody and will appear in the Ontario Court of Justice on 29 April 2019 for a Bail Hearing.
Next, on April 28, 2019, at approximately 3:15 pm, members of the Superior East Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) were conducting speed enforcement on Highway 17 in Bailloquet Township, Ontario.
Officers observed a sport utility vehicle (SUV) driving at a high rate of speed and performed a traffic stop.
As officers spoke with the driver, the odour of alcohol was detected emanating from his breath.
The male driver subsequently registered a “Fail” on an approved screening device (ASD). The driver was arrested and transported to the Wawa OPP Detachment for further testing.
As a result of the investigation, Mark OILUND, a 40-year-old male, from London, Ontario, was charged with the following:
- Operation while impaired – blood alcohol concentration (80 plus), contrary to section 320.14(1)(b) of the Criminal Code (CC),
- Driving while under suspension (2 counts), contrary to section 53(1) of the Highway Traffic Act (HTA),
- Operate a motor vehicle without insurance, contrary to section 2(1)(a) of the Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act (CAIA),
- Speeding 1-49 km/h over posted limit, contrary to section 128 of the HTA,
- Driving motor vehicle with liquor readily available, contrary to section 32(1) of the Liquor Licence Act (LLA).
The driver was issued a 90-day Automatic Driver’s Licence Suspension (ADLS), and the vehicle was impounded for 7 days.
The accused was subsequently released and is scheduled to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice on June 10, 2019, in Wawa, Ontario.
The OPP remind motorists that no amount of alcohol or drug is safe to consume and then drive. Report impaired drivers. Should you observe a suspected impaired driver, please dial 911 or contact the Ontario Provincial Police at 1-888-310-1122.