Canada Wide Warrant Suspect Arrested by Thunder Bay Police

Local News

The licence for Newfie’s Pub will be suspended for ten days, starting at 11AM on September 12 2015 and continue until 02:00AM on September 22nd 2015.
Newfie’s Pub near where the suspect was arrested. The licenced establishment is in the process of re-locating to Simpson Street.

THUNDER BAY – Thunder Bay Police took care of a situation in Downtown Fort William on Wednesday afternoon. Police say that members of Thunder Bay Police Service’s Community Response Team located an individual wanted on a Canada-wide warrant near Newfie’s Pub in the 500 block of Victoria Avenue East just after 3 pm on Wednesday, March 27, 2019.

Police report that the wanted male became combative when the approaching plain clothed officer identified himself.

Other members of the Community Response Team arrived to assist with the arrest. Officers from the Uniformed Patrol division were then called in to assist with an unruly crowd that had formed.

The wanted male assaulted an officer at the scene. The male again became combative while in custody at the Police Balmoral station and assaulted another officer there.

Kevin Douglas SAKANEE, 35, of Thunder Bay, is charged with Assaulting Peace Officer x 2, Resist Peace Officer, Uttering Threats – Death or Bodily Harm.

SAKANEE appeared in court Thursday morning and was remanded into custody with a future appearance date.

Fort William business owner Lori Paras, of The Hub, states, “A crowd gathered to watch as per usual in situations like this. The police were professional and only used force necessary to detain under the circumstances.

Traffic stopping! As The Hub has come together, the bright lights have attracted people - a key component for downtown revitalizing energy
The Hub has come together, the bright lights have attracted people – a key component for downtown revitalizing energy

“This happened across the street from my shop. The fellow who was being arrested was very aggressive and yes was spitting at and hitting the officers. There was a concern for the safety of the officers and the man being arrested by most of the observers”.

“The aggressive behaviour by a few individuals was unwarranted and it became necessary for back up to be called as the officers were being shouted at and filmed by these few individuals. They were also getting very close to the arresting officers as they tried to keep their suspect under control waiting for the police cruiser to arrive. I saw professional demeanour in the action of these officers who had very aggressive individuals coming closer and closer to them. The police back up came and were gone within minutes. They came to support their fellow officers and only stayed long enough to see the crowd disband.”


Previous articlePrime Minister Apologizes for treatment of Grassy Narrows Protestors
Next articleThunder Bay – Police Seek Pair of Fraud Suspects or NNL offers news, information, opinions and positive ideas for Thunder Bay, Ontario, Northwestern Ontario and the world. NNL covers a large region of Ontario, but we are also widely read around the country and the world. To reach us by email: Reach the Newsroom: (807) 355-1862