FORT FRANCES – On July 13, 2018, at approximately 9:46 PM, members of the Rainy River District Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to a call of a large fight with a weapon involved, at the Pither’s Point Park in Fort Frances. Officers immediately attended the location and commenced an investigation into the circumstances. As a result, officers learned that an altercation had taken place between a number of people camping in the area, and a local man. Two people involved in the altercation received minor injuries. Officers began searching the area for the suspect, and on July 14, 2018, at approximately 09:00 AM, he was located and arrested.
Lonny MORRISSEAU, 38 years of age, of Couchiching First Nation Territory, is being charged with the following:
- Five counts of Uttering Threats contrary to section 264.1(1)(a) of the Criminal Code,
- Two counts of Assault with a Weapon contrary to section 267(a) of the Criminal Code,
- Two counts of Weapons Dangerous contrary to section 88 of the Criminal Code,
- Fail to Comply with Recognizance contrary to section 145(3) of the Criminal Code,
- Fail to Comply with Probation contrary to section 733.1(1) of the Criminal Code.
The accused was held for bail court. He is currently in custody and is awaiting a court appearance on July 19, 2018, at the Ontario Court of Justice in Fort Frances in answer to his charges.