THUNDER BAY – Wild Fire Update – There were four new fires confirmed by the afternoon of Friday, June 22.
- Red Lake Fire Number 44 is being held at 0.1 hectares. It is located north of Little Vermilion Lake.
- Red Lake Fire Number 45 is not under control at 0.1 hectares and is located south of Bak Lake.
- Red Lake Fire Number 46 is not under control at 10 hectares and is located near Haven Lake in Woodland Caribou Provincial Park.
- Kenora Fire Number 61 is not under control at 0.1 hectares and is located near East Hawk Lake.
By the end of the day on June 21, there were six fires confirmed in the Northwest Region. Most of these fires are either being held or under control.
The forest fire hazard is high to extreme across most of the region with a few pockets of moderate hazard in the Red Lake and Sioux Lookout Districts. Thunderstorms with varying amounts of rain are forecast for tomorrow.
Red Lake Fire 38 is 14,888 hectares and is 8 kilometres to the southeast of North Spirit Lake in the far north. The community is not threatened at this time. An Incident Management Team continues to direct operations on this fire. The fire responded well to ignition operations which helped to limit the fire’s spread to the north by directing the fire to natural boundaries such as lakes and rivers. This wildland fire has received some rain that has reduced the fire behavior for the time being.
Sioux Lookout Fire Number 23 is not under control at 132 hectares and is 20 kilometres southwest of Weagamow First Nation. Crews continue to consolidate hose lines to contain the fire’s spread to the north. This fire received rain overnight and is now exhibiting minimal fire behaviour.
There are currently 23 active fires in the region, 17 of which are under observation, under control, or being held.
To see a complete list of fires across the province click on our interactive map. You can also get the latest update on the condition of any fire by clicking the fire icon.
Fire numbers and online information:
- Forest Fire Reporting Number – 310-FIRE (3473)
- Twitter account
Report prepared by Jonathan Scott