THUNDER BAY – Four new forest fires were discovered today in the region, as of late afternoon on June 10.
- Red Lake fire number 34 was confirmed this morning near the south shore of Pikangikum Lake, approximately 4 km east of the community of Pikangikum. It is being held at 0.7 of a hectare.
- Red Lake fire number 35, confirmed late this afternoon, covers 0.5 of a hectare and is located on the north side of Pikangikum First Nation. FireRangers are on site.
- Fort Frances fire number 12 was confirmed this afternoon approximately 6 km east of Irene Lake. It covers 0.1 of a hectare and is not yet under control at the time of this update.
- Sioux Lookout fire number 12 was also confirmed late this afternoon on an island north of the community of Wunnummin Lake. It covers 0.1 of a hectare and is not yet under control.
The forest fire hazard is generally high across the Northwest region, with some areas that were showing an extreme hazard earlier this afternoon. Similar conditions are expected for tomorrow.
Fire numbers and online information:
- To report a forest fire, please dial 310-FIRE (3473)
- Follow us on Twitter: in English @ONForestFires or in French @ONFeuDeForêt
- For up to date information on current fires in the province or to check the forest fire hazard in your area, visit Ontario.ca/forestfire
For guidelines on safe outdoor fire management ontario.ca/fireprevention
Report prepared by Isabelle Chenard