SCHREIBER – NEWS – On Monday, May 21st, 2018 at approximately 10:38 pm, a uniform member of the Schreiber Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) conducted a traffic stop on Highway 17 near Terrace Bay after two westbound vehicles were observed travelling together in excess of 140km/h in the posted 90km/h zone.
Highway Traffic Act violations were noted while following and once the vehicles were stopped, including children not wearing seatbelts in both vehicles.
As a result of police investigation a 23-year-old male from Scarborough was charged with the following offences:
- Stunt driving contrary to section 172 (1) of the Highway Traffic Act
- Fail To Ensure Infant Properly Secured, contrary to section 8(2) O.Reg613 of the Highway Traffic Act
The driver of the second vehicle a 26-year-old male from Scarborough was charged with the following offences:
- Stunt driving, contrary to section 172 (1) of the Highway Traffic Act.
- Drive While Child Passenger Not Properly Secured, contrary to section 106(4)(b) of the Highway Traffic Act.
- Drive Motor Vehicle No Licence, contrary to section 32(1) of the Highway Traffic Act.
Both drivers had their vehicles towed for the mandatory 7-day impoundment.
Drivers are reminded that driving speeds of 50km/hr or more over the posted speed limit face severe penalties including:
•Mandatory 7-day licence suspension
•Mandatory 7-day vehicle impoundment
•Minimum fine $2000 up to $10,000
•6 license demerit points
Drivers of the vehicle are responsible for the tow and storage fee of the vehicle as well as paying a drivers licence reinstatement fee.