THUNDER BAY – WEATHER – Back to the cold zone for most of Northern Ontario. Environment Canada has issued Extreme Cold Warnings for almost the entire region.
5:16 AM EST Saturday 30 December 2017
Extreme Cold Warning in effect for:
- Savant Lake – Sturgeon Lake
- Sioux Lookout – Eastern Lac Seul
- Fort Severn
- Big Trout Lake – Kasabonika
- Sachigo Lake – Bearskin Lake
- Sandy Lake
- Dryden – Vermilion Bay – Kenora
- Fort Frances – Atikokan
- English River – Raith – Upsala
- Pickle Lake – Cat Lake
- Summer Beaver – Wunnummin Lake – Kingfisher Lake
- Sioux Lookout – Savant Lake
- Mishkeegogaming – Pickle Lake
- Geraldton – Longlac – Caramat
- Manitouwadge – Hornepayne
- Nakina – Aroland – Pagwa
A prolonged period of very cold wind chills continues.
A huge Arctic air mass continues to keep a strong frigid grip over Northern Ontario.
Nighttime wind chill values near minus 40 or below are expected in most areas until Monday.
Wind chills will moderate providing some temporary relief from the extreme cold during the daytime.
Extreme cold puts everyone at risk.
Dress warmly. Dress in layers that you can remove if you get too warm. The outer layer should be wind resistant.
Cover up. Frostbite can develop within minutes on exposed skin, especially with the wind chill.
If it’s too cold for you to stay outside, it’s too cold for your pet to stay outside.