THUNDER BAY – Thunder Bay Fire Rescue responded to a structural fire early Sunday morning on Empress Avenue. Firefighters quickly brought the fire under control and a female occupant was sent to hospital as a precaution. The cause of the fire was unattended cooking which caused extensive damage to the kitchen. No one else was home at the time of the fire.
Cooking fires are the leading cause of residential structural fires. Thunder Bay Fire Rescue reminds everyone to keep the area around your stove free from clutter and to never leave cooking unattended.
“An important fire safety messages we use in our educational programs is to look while you cook,” said Deputy Fire Chief Greg Hankkio. “A cooking fire can start in a matter of seconds so you should never leave the kitchen while cooking.”
Thunder Bay Fire Rescue reminds residents that it is the law to have working smoke alarms on every level of your home and outside all sleeping areas. Carbon Monoxide alarms are required by law to be installed outside all sleeping areas if your home has a fuel fired appliance, a fireplace or an attached garage.