Mississauga, ON – The death of a thirty-three-year old man is under investigation from Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit. The SIU are probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a 33-year-old man inside a motel room in Thunder Bay.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
- Around 11 p.m. on July 12, Thunder Bay Police received a call regarding a man inside a room at the Kingsway Inn at 345 Kingsway Avenue.
- Several officers arrived at the motel and attempted to engage the man.
- Close to 7:00 a.m., officers located the man inside the room. He was without any vital signs.
- The man was transported to Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre where he was pronounced dead.
Three investigators and two forensic investigators have been assigned to investigate this incident.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have witnessed the incident to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.