THUNDER BAY – “Ontario is committed to supporting the development of youth across the province by offering summer job opportunities in natural resource management. Investing in our young people to help them build their skills, experience, and knowledge will allow them to succeed in the labour market and make positive contributions to Ontario’s economy,” states Bill Mauro, Minister of Natural Resources and Forestry. Ontario is offering summer employment opportunities for young people in natural resource management to help develop professional skills and prepare them for successful careers.
There are more than 2,000 opportunities — including internships and summer jobs — available for young people in communities across Ontario. Programs include:
- Stewardship Youth Ranger Program
- Summer Employment Opportunities
- Aboriginal Youth Work Exchange Program
- First Nations Natural Resources Youth Employment Program
- Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry Internship Program
Through these opportunities, young people will gain a deeper appreciation of their role in the stewardship of Ontario’s natural resources – including supporting biodiversity and helping combat climate change. These employment programs also give Ontario’s youth the opportunity to obtain meaningful work experience, develop practical, personal and professional skills, and enhance their career networks by interacting with local experts and employers.
Providing youth with job opportunities is part of the government’s plan to build Ontario up and deliver its number-one priority to grow the economy and create jobs. The four-part plan includes investing in people’s talents and skills, making the largest investment in public infrastructure in Ontario’s history, creating a dynamic, supportive environment where business thrives, and building a secure retirement savings plan.
- There are more than 30 government programs to help youth build skills, start a business or find a job.
- Since its launch in 2013, the Youth Jobs Strategy has created more than 30,000 job opportunities for young people across the province.
- In 2016, the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry is offering youth employment opportunities in more than 200 communities and provincial parks across Ontario.