Extreme Cold Warning for Fort SevernFORT SEVERN – WASHAHO CREE NATION – Bundle up!
Extreme Cold Warning in effect for:
- Fort Severn
A period of very cold wind chills is expected.
A very cold Arctic air mass is moving into the Fort Severn region tonight. Temperatures are expected to drop to near minus 35 C by Saturday morning. Combined with light winds, the resulting wind chill values will fall to the minus 45 to minus 50 range.
Wind chill values should improve Saturday afternoon as temperatures moderate. However, extreme wind chill values are possible again Saturday night into Sunday morning.
Wear appropriate clothing.
– Always wear clothing appropriate for the weather. Synthetic and wool fabrics provide better insulation. Some synthetic fabrics are designed to keep perspiration away from your body which keep you dry and further reduce your risk.
– Dress in layers with a wind resistant outer layer. You can remove layers if you get too warm (before you start sweating) or add a layer if you get cold.
– Wear warm socks, gloves, a hat and scarf in cold weather. Be sure to cover your nose to protect it.
– If you get wet, change into dry clothing as soon as possible. You lose heat faster when you’re wet.
– Consuming alcohol before you go out in the cold may increase your risk of hypothermia because it increases blood flow to the extremities of the body. You may actually feel warm even though you are losing heat.