THUNDER BAY – HEALTH – The Thunder Bay District Health Unit (TBDHU) has issued a statement outlining the latest updates on Outbreaks at Thunder Bay facilities:
“Working in conjunction with officials from each facility, the Health Unit would like to provide the public with an outbreak update so that they can make informed decisions about visiting each of the following facilities:
Outbreaks Declared Today:
- Dawson Court Home for the Aged – A facility-wide outbreak of gastrointestinal illness has been declared. The facility is located at 523 Algoma Street North. Please call the facility for more information.
Outbreaks Declared Over Today:
- Pioneer Ridge – The outbreak of respiratory illness (identified as influenza) has been declared over. The facility is located at 750 Tungsten Street.
Outbreaks Still in Effect:
- Isabella Retirement Living – The facility-wide outbreak of respiratory illness, identified as Influenza A, is still in effect. The facility is located at 1350 Isabella Street.
“The Health Unit is urging people to refrain from visiting hospitals and long-term care facilities when feeling unwell to avoid spreading infections to those most vulnerable: young infants and children, the elderly and those with other chronic illnesses”.
The Health Unit reminds the public to prevent getting and spreading infections by:
- Washing hands often, for at least 15 seconds with soap and warm water, or by using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Staying at home if sick to avoid spreading infections to others.