Airstrike targets Islamic State in Syria
WASHINGTON – Coalition forces struck at Islamic forces in Syria today.
U.S. CENTCOM says “U.S. and partner nation military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria Dec. 26 using fighter, bomber, and remotely piloted aircraft to conduct sixteen airstrikes. Separately, U.S. and partner nation military forces conducted fifteen airstrikes in Iraq Dec. 26 using fighter, bomber, attack aircraft, and remotely piloted aircraft against the ISIL terrorists.
The following is a summary of those strikes:
* Near Kobani, thirteen airstrikes destroyed three ISIL buildings, two ISIL staging areas, an ISIL vehicle, and nineteen ISIL fighting positions and struck two large ISIL units and four ISIL tactical units.
* Near Al Hasakah, two airstrikes destroyed two ISIL vehicles and struck a drilling tower.
* Near Ar Raqqah, an airstrike struck an ISIL staging area.
* Near Al Asad, three airstrikes destroyed an ISIL mortar, an ISIL rocket system, four ISIL vehicles and struck a large ISIL unit and two ISIL tactical units.
* Near Sinjar, three airstrikes destroyed three ISIL vehicles and struck three ISIL tactical units.
* Near Mosul, three airstrikes destroyed three ISIL tactical vehicles, an ISIL fighting position, an ISIL commercial vehicle and struck two ISIL tactical units.
* Near Al Qaim, three airstrikes destroyed an ISIL fighting position, an ISIL storage container, ISIL equipment and struck two ISIL tactical vehicles.
* Near Bayji, an airstrike struck a large ISIL unit.
* Near Kirkuk, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit.
* Near Tal Afar, an airstrike struck an ISIL vehicle.
Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports.
The strikes were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the ISIL terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, the region and the wider international community. The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group’s ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations conducting airstrikes in Iraq include the U.S., Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Netherlands and the United Kingdom. Coalition Nations conducting airstrikes in Syria include the U.S., Bahrain, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.