THUNDER BAY – SPORTS – Both the Superior International Junior Hockey League’s Fort Frances Lakers and Dryden GM Ice Dogs made a move up in the latest Canadian Junior Hockey League Pointstreak top 20 weekly rankings announced Monday.
Fort Frances, which currently in top spot in the SIJHL standings with a 7-1-0-1 record, was slotted 10th nationally while the GM Ice Dogs, who are just one point in arrears of the Lakers with a 6-1-0-2 mark, were tabbed 18th in the CJHL this week in the listings compiled in conjunction with International Scouting Services.
There is no change among the top three clubs in the overall CJHL rankings.
The 2015 RBC Cup host Portage Terriers (MJHL) are a perfect 11-0 to start the season and are justifiably the No. 1 team in the CJHL once again this week.
Holding down the No. 2 spot are the Notre Dame Hounds (SJHL) as they too are unbeaten so far in 2014-15 at 7-0.
Sporting a 15-4 record the Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) remain third nationally.
The following is the Pointstreak CJHL top 20 rankings along with five honourable mention teams for the period concluding Oct. 12:
CJHL TOP 20
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) (LAST WEEK)
1. Portage Terriers (MJHL) (1)
2. Notre Dame Hounds (SJHL) (2)
3. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (3)
4. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (14)
5. Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL) (9)
6. Camrose Kodiaks (AJHL) (4)
7. Winnipeg Blues (MJHL) (12)
8. Woodstock Slammers (MHL) (8)
9. Cobourg Cougars (OJHL) (5)
10. Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL) (11)
11. Cornwall Colts (CCHL) (8)
12. Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOJHL) (NR)
13. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (NR)
14. Sherbrooke Cougars (QJHL) (20)
15. Chilliwack Chiefs (BCHL) (18)
16. Melfort Mustangs (SJHL) (NR)
17. Whitby Fury (OJHL) (HM)
18. Dryden GM Ice Dogs (SIJHL) (HM)
19. Dieppe Commandos (MHL) (19)
20. Saint-Jerome Panthers (QJHL) (NR)
Honourable Mention: Sudbury Nickel Barons (NOJHL), Cochrane Crunch (NOJHL), Prince George Spruce Kings (BCHL), Winkler Flyers (MJHL), Montreal-East Rangers (QJHL)
ABOUT THE POINTSTREAK CJHL TOP 20 RANKINGS
The Pointstreak CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings, in conjunction with International Scouting Services (ISS), are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.