THUNDER BAY – WEATHER – UPDATED at 17:50EDT – Environment Canada has issued Thunderstorm Advisories for parts of Northwestern Ontario.
Severe thunderstorm watch in effect for:
- Upsala – Raith
- Savant Lake – Sturgeon Lake
- Ear Falls – Perrault Falls – Western Lac Seul
- Red Lake – Woodland Caribou Park
- Sioux Lookout – Eastern Lac Seul
- Pikangikum – Poplar Hill – MacDowell
- Armstrong – Auden – Wabakimi Park
- Gull Bay – Black Sturgeon Lake
Thunderstorms associated with an approaching frontal system have the potential to become severe later this afternoon and early evening. Large hail, damaging winds and torrential rainfall are possible with these thunderstorms.
Large hail can damage property and cause injury. Strong wind gusts can toss loose objects, damage weak buildings, break branches off trees and overturn large vehicles. In Canada, lightning kills up to 10 people every year. Remember, when thunder roars, go indoors.
Emergency Management Ontario recommends that you take cover immediately, if threatening weather approaches.