KINGFISHER LAKE FIRST NATION – A group of walkers from Kingfisher Lake First Nation will arrive in Sioux Lookout, Ont. April 3 as more people joined the walk to raise awareness about treatment options for prescription drug abuse. Band Councillor William Mekanak, 37, and youth Bryan Sainnawap, 16, set out March 14 for a 500 kilometre trek to Sioux Lookout. Mekanak initiated the walk to raise funds for a new building to house a Suboxone Treatment Program operated by the community. Mekanak set out to raise about $150,000 for the new building.
As of March 28, the group is about 50 kilometres from the junctions of Highway 516 and 599. Individuals from Kingfisher Lake and Mishkeegogamang have joined Mekanak and Sainnawap.
The walkers will arrive in Sioux Lookout on April 3 at 1 p.m. at the Shibogama First Nations Council office (81 King Street). The public are invited to attend a reception for the walkers.
Donations can be made several ways:
- Bank Deposit at CIBC: Transit: 00387 / Account number: 53-02013
- Dropping off cash or cheque at Shibogama First Nations Council in Sioux Lookout
- Northern Cash Link: 6063 5700 0303 3837
- Email money transfer: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cheques can be made payable to: Kingfisher Lake First Nation c/o Awareness Walk