THUNDER BAY – Jim Stadey operates Eat Local Pizza. The business offers pizza and other treats with a decidedly local flavour. They source most of their ingredients right here in Thunder Bay. Here is the latest information from the company:
With the onset of the 2010 Food Resource Guide as a new set of guidelines for the procurement and supply of food to schools, we at Eat Local are ready to help supply the evolving needs of the school boards in Thunder Bay.
Through careful planning and constant testing we have managed to redefine pizza as the delicious and nutritious food that kids can eat safely. As per the ministry guidelines we have sourced, measured and tested each ingredient in the “School Pizzas” that we offer to schools. Each of our pizzas and the ingredients within conform to the “Sell Most” Category.
We have been careful to reduce the amounts of sodium and fat in our dough, sauce, cheese and toppings while preserving the taste that kids look for in a pizza. We have provided healthy pizzas for eight schools this year and hope to deal with more in the coming semester.
How you can use Eat Local pizzas at your school:
1. As our pizzas fall in the “Sell Most” category they can be calculated in your total sales/availability volume representing part of your 80% Sell Most products. This allows you the leeway needed to occasionally add some of the 20% Sell Least options that may be popular at your school or that you believe will help solidify your cost recovery operation.
2. Our pizzas are not restricted by the “10 special event days” This means that supplying students with our product will not hamper your ability to sell other items on those 10 days and that you will not be forced to limit the availability of pizza days at your school.
3. We source as many of our ingredients as we can locally. The Ontario government has been proposing that schools include as may local food items as possible and we can represent a portion of that.
4. We care about the food security of children in Thunder Bay and wish to make providing food for them as easy as possible. Our pizzas for kids at schools are only 7.97+ tax. We also try to make ourselves available to help with any special requests your school may have.
* Ask about our “Pizzas for Kids Without Lunches program” Every Monday we provide each school with one free pizza to help provide for students who are without a lunch. We have a set number of schools that come pick up a pizza every Monday and all you have to do is call to set it up for your school as well. We are proud of the teachers and staff in Thunder Bay schools for doing so much to help kids, we are proud to do our part to make that a little easier.
Eat Local Pizza
Find out more about Eat Local Pizza