Election Sign Vandalism Crops Up

Richard Harvey

Richard HarveyTHUNDER BAY – UPDATED – Damaging an election sign is not something to take lightly. Under the Elections Canada Act Section 262 states that it is an offence to take down, remove, cover up, mutilate, deface or alter any printed advertisement, placard, poster or banner having reference to the election of a candidate without authority.

Every election there are times when election signs are vandalised.

This morning, there are signs in Thunder Bay Superior North for Conservative candidate Richard Harvey which have been beat up pretty badly.

Andy Blair, with the Hyer Campaign shares, “We’re finding a lot of our signs on the North side of Thunder Bay damaged or taken up by someone and missing too”.

“South side is no different: one person in Rafferty’s (who already had a sign) woke up yesterday morning to find a whole pile of Rafferty signs on her lawn. Apparently, all the Rafferty signs from the neighbourhood were removed and dumped there”, adds Blair.

A statement from the Harvey Campaign adds to the issue, “Our sign crews are encountering significant vandalism to the Richard Harvey signs particularly in Court Street and Egan area. Although other signs have not been attacked. Signs are being replaced closer to the homes themselves to discourage more vandalism. The vandalized signs are still in place while new structures are being built to replace them. The visual of the vandalized signs are an indication of the passion although a misguided passion by some as the election heats up”.

Previous articleThe Stereos, Neverest, and Eric Solomon Caught in the Hail Storm in Thunder Bay
Next articleWrestling Supershow sets sights on Fort William Gardens – May 7th
NetNewsledger.com or NNL offers news, information, opinions and positive ideas for Thunder Bay, Ontario, Northwestern Ontario and the world. NNL covers a large region of Ontario, but are also widely read around the country and the world. To reach us by email: newsroom@netnewsledger.com Reach the Newsroom: (807) 355-1862