THUNDER BAY – The Northern Growth Plan will be released on March 4th. Minister of Northern Development, Mines and Forestry, Michael Gravelle and Minister of Infrastructure, Bob Chiarelli, will release the Growth Plan for Northern Ontario. Minister Gravelle will be joined in Thunder Bay by Bill Mauro, MPP for Thunder Bay-Atikokan, Minister Chiarelli will be joined in Sudbury by Rick Bartolucci, MPP for Sudbury.
The strategic, 25-year plan aims to grow the North by:
- Creating a highly productive region, with a diverse, globally competitive economy that offers a range of career opportunities for all residents.
- Developing a highly educated and skilled workforce to support an evolving knowledge-based economy and excellence in the trades.
- Partnering with Aboriginal people to create greater educational and employment opportunities.
- Delivering a complete network of transportation, energy, communications, social and learning infrastructure, to support strong, vibrant communities.
- Demonstrating leadership in sustainable growth and environmental management.
- Establishing innovative partnerships to maximize resources and ensure the Growth Plan achieves its ambitious vision and is fiscally sustainable.
The draft of the plan was released in October 2009.