RED LAKE – The Red Lake OPP report that a driver from Newfoundland faces a net full of charges following a flight from police in a possible stolen vehicle.
OPP state that on July 11th, 2020 at approximately 8:48 p.m., officers from the Red Lake Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) observed a possible stolen motor vehicle on Hammell Road, within the Municipality of Red Lake.
Officers attempted to initiate a traffic stop, but the driver fled at a high rate of speed. The vehicle was located & throughout the investigation, it was determined that the driver had been consuming alcoholic beverages. The officer made a demand for an approved screening device breath sample & the driver failed. The driver was placed under arrest & returned to the detachment for further tests.
As a result of the investigation Richard MYERS, 46, of Newfoundland, was charged with:
- 1x Operation while impaired – alcohol and drugs, contrary to Section 320.14(1)(a) of the Criminal Code;
- 1x Operation while impaired – blood alcohol concentration (80 plus), contrary to Section 320.14(1)(b) of the Criminal Code;
- 1x Flight from a peace officer, contrary to Section 320.17 of the Criminal Code;
- 2x Operation while prohibited, contrary to Section 320.18(1)(a) of the Criminal Code;
- 1x Failure to Comply with Undertaking, contrary to Section 145(4)(a) of the Criminal Code
Myers remains in-custody and is awaiting a bail hearing.
Motorists who drive impaired by alcohol or drugs are subject to drivers licence suspensions, fines, vehicle impoundments, criminal records, and increased insurance costs. Please drive responsibly, don’t drink and drive.
The OPP is committed to safety for all who utilize Ontario’s roadways. Members of the public are urged to report Impaired Driving by calling 911 in emergency situations. Complaints of impaired, aggressive or careless driving can also be made by calling 1-888-310-1122.
None of the charges have been proven in court.