TORONTO – The ongoing impact of COVID-19 on the transportation sector continues. Passenger aviation along with passenger rail and most bus services remain hit very hard by the travel restrictions. Additionally, the number of people booking travel appears to remain very low in many cases.
These factors have prompted Porter Airlines to extend the company’s deferring of its resumption of flights until July 29.
This is a full month later than previously announced by the company. Porter Airlines says it is due to ongoing COVID-19 travel restrictions.
“We want to see our planes in the sky as soon as possible and are actively working to prepare for our resumption of service. However, the ongoing uncertainty presented by government travel restrictions, including border closures, is impacting our ability to operate flights,” said Michael Deluce, president and CEO of Porter Airlines. “We are closely watching developments and know that Porter will be an important part of providing people with travel options as the economy recovers.”
Seasonal summer markets that Porter intended to serve in 2020 are being cancelled as part of this service deferral. Muskoka, Ont., and Stephenville, N.L., are the two destinations affected.
Porter is preparing to introduce enhanced health and safety measures for its return to service. Details of these initiatives will be announced closer to when flights restart so that plans are as closely aligned with the latest public health recommendations as possible.
To provide flexibility and give travellers peace of mind when purchasing for future travel, Porter is waiving change and cancellation fees on all fares booked between today and July 29. This also applies to Porter Escapes vacation packages.