THUNDER BAY, ON, October 15, 2017 – Please be advised that the OPSEU CAAT Academic Union has confirmed that a strike will begin on Monday, October 16, 2017 across Ontario Colleges, including Confederation College. Classes for all academic programming at Confederation have been cancelled for the duration of the strike. Many college services will remain available.
Confederation College will ensure that our students have the opportunity to complete their year. It is important to note that no student at an Ontario college has ever lost their year due to a strike.
As always, safety will continue to be of the utmost concern for Confederation College. The public is asked to be patient and respectful if crossing picket lines, and to refer to the Picket Line Protocol for more information. The union has confirmed that the public should expect picket lines at each of the four entrances to the Thunder Bay campus, as well as a picket line at the entrance to the Aviation Centre of Excellence. At this time, there are no planned picket lines for our regional campuses.
The following summarizes what the public can expect now and through the duration of the strike for Confederation College:
- All academic delivery has ceased at Confederation College. This includes Workforce Development/Contract Training, Continuing and Distance Education, Co-op and Work Placements, Apprenticeships, Academic Upgrading, and International, Collaborative and Dual-Credit programming. This means that all classes have been cancelled until further notice.
- Regional campuses and all Thunder Bay campus buildings will remain open unless otherwise notified. Reduced hours may be in effect and will be communicated in advance of any changes to operating hours.
- The SUCCI Wellness Centre – Minowaadiziiwin, Health Centre, Children and Family Centre and Follett Bookstore will remain open for the duration of the strike.
- Sodexo (food services) will remain open in the Ryan Hall Cafeteria of the Shuniah Building on Thunder Bay’s main campus. All other locations have been closed for the duration of the strike. Reduced hours are in effect for Ryan Hall as follows:
- Monday-Friday, 8:30am-6:30pm
- Saturday and Sunday, 11:00am-6:00pm
- Recreational programming will be offered by SUCCI, the International Education Centre and CICE.
- SUCCI, APIWIN, the International Education Centre, Paterson Library Commons and computer labs will remain open for students.
- The public is advised not to use Confederation College’s roadways for through traffic.
- Those coming to campus should expect delays. Please be patient and respectful when entering the College and crossing picket lines. Refer to the Picket Line Protocol for more information.
- City of Thunder Bay Transit stops have been temporarily relocated outside of the main entrances for Confederation College. See the temporary transit locations.
Updates will continue to be posted throughout the strike to the dedicated webpage: www.confederationcollege.ca/academic-strike.
Confederation College thanks everyone for their patience and understanding throughout this process.