Edmonton, Alberta – the Edmonton RCMP Serious & Organized Crime Team (SOC), RCMP Police Dog Services with the assistance of the Edmonton Police Service Tactical Team executed a search warrant at the Edmonton residence of an alleged drug trafficker who was supplying drugs destined to Saskatchewan. As a result of this search, officers seized over 12 pounds of marihuana, 1000 ml of GHB, a small quantity of MDMA, dozens of containers and vials of various steroids, approximately 3/4 pound of Ketamine and a quantity of cash money.
This investigation began on March 5, 2014 in Kindersley, Saskatchewan by the Integrated Drug Enforcement Street Team in Saskatoon (comprised of officers of the Saskatoon Police Service and the RCMP) as well as the RCMP Kindersley Detachment. Saskatchewan officers reached out to the Edmonton RCMP Serious & Organized Crime Team to cooperate on an inter-provincial drug investigation involving drug smuggling between Alberta and Saskatchewan.
The investigation led to a vehicle stop by Saskatchewan police where individuals were arrested in possession of over a kilogram of cocaine, several ounces of methamphetamine, ketamine as well as 11 pounds of marihuana. Other police searches were conducted in Saskatoon and rural Kindersley, Saskatchewan which led officers to arrest another individual and seize hash oil, hash, cocaine, several ounces of methamphetamine, marihuana, cash and a sawed off shotgun.
“This is a great example of the results we can achieve by working together towards a common goal regardless of the province we work in or the badge we carry”, says Inspector Peter Trottier, Officer in Charge of the RCMP Serious & Organized Crime Team 2. “Police officers in both provinces did an excellent job to bring this to a successful conclusion.”
As a result of the Edmonton search, RCMP officers charged Jeremy Wong, a 29-year-old male of Edmonton with:
Trafficking marihuana – sec. 5(1) CDSA
Possession of marihuana for the purpose of trafficking – sec. 5(2) CDSA
Possession of Ketamine for the purpose of trafficking – sec. 5(2) CDSA
Possession of 4 – hydroxybutanoic acid (GHB) for the purpose of trafficking – sec. 5(2) CDSA
Possession of Proceeds of Crime over $5000, section 355 of the CC
Jeremy Wong is scheduled to appear in Edmonton Provincial Court on March 24, 2014.
· Marihuana: 12 pounds = 5.4 kilograms = 5400 grams. Dosage unit ranges from .5 to .3 grams per joint. Therefore the number of joints would range from 10,800 joints to 18,000 joints;
· GHB: 1000 ml. Dosage unit is 2.5 ml (2.5 grams). Therefore the number of dosage units is 400 doses;
· MDMA: no information to provide an estimate;
· Ketamine: 3/4 pound = 12 ounces. 28 grams in an ounce. 12 ounces x 28 grams = 340 grams. Dosage unit is 250 mg if taken orally (drank). Therefore the number of doses of Ketamine would be 1360 doses. If inhaled (insufflated) the dosage would be 50 mg. Therefore the number of doses of Ketamine would be 6800 doses;
· Steroids: The dosage unit would depend on the steroid. A typical vial would be 10 ml in volume.