Economic Development Council Ready at Lakehead University
THUNDER BAY – Lakehead University President and Vice-Chancellor Dr Brian Stevenson states, “PACED’s purpose is to advise me on how Lakehead University can fulfil an even more integral role in the economic development of Northwestern Ontario.” Dr. Stevenson, who will serve as Chair of the new council. “Council members will help me determine where this University can best contribute to our region and how to measure that success.”
Dr. Stevenson announced the creation of the President’s Advisory Council on Economic Development (PACED) for Northwestern Ontario. The council will meet regularly, and is comprised of regional industry and business leaders.
PACED Members From Variety Of Industries
PACED members were selected based on individual skill sets and include private-sector business representatives from the Aboriginal community, as well as various industries such as transportation, mining, banking, and construction:
- Harvey Cardwell… Vice-Chair of PACED, and CEO, Northco Group
- Rob Bell… President & General Manager, Dingwell’s North America
- Don Campbell… former President & CEO, TBaytel
- Andrew Cheatle… President, Chief Executive Officer, Director, Unigold Inc.
- Ed Collins… Manager of Economic Development, Fort William First Nation
- Barb Courte… President & CEO, North Star Drilling and Cobra Drilling
- Silvio Di Gregorio… Secretary Treasurer, Bruno’s Contracting
- Tim Heney… CEO, Thunder Bay Port Authority
- Irene Kozlowski… President & CEO, Sencia Canada Ltd.
- Ian McCormack… Director of Business Operations, Tetra Tech, and Chair, Thunder Bay Airport Authority
- Joe Moses… Account Manager, Commercial Banking, RBC Royal Bank
- Doug Murray… President & CEO, Thunder Bay Community Economic Development Commission
- Robert Poulter… President & CEO, Mitomics Inc.
- Madge Richardson… Executive Director, North Superior Workforce Planning Board
- Murray Walberg… Regional Vice-President, RBC Royal Bank
- Frederic Gascon… Vice-President Manufacturing, Bombardier
“I want to thank all council members who have stepped forward to give of their time and expertise,” said Harvey Cardwell, Vice-Chair of PACED, and a Fellow of Lakehead University. A former member of Lakehead’s Board of Governors, Cardwell added, “We look forward to this group’s recommendations and counsel, as Lakehead endeavours to make an even greater impact on economic development in Northwestern Ontario for years to come.”