THUNDER BAY – In the spring, it is delicious asparagus that graces the farmer’s markets and grocery store shelves. This makes for the opportunity for a delicious blend of flavour and colour. Our friends at Foodland Ontario offer this tasty spring Asparagus pizza recipe for your enjoyment. Substitute your favourite fat-reduced cheese for a change of style.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 8 minutes
Makes: 8 slices
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 Ontario Onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar
- 8 to 10 stalks Ontario Asparagus, cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) pieces
- 1 medium Ontario Greenhouse Tomato, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried basil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 baked 12-inch (30 cm) whole wheat pizza crust
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chèvre cheese, crumbled
In frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat; sauté onion and garlic until softened and golden, about 8 minutes. Add vinegar and sugar; stir. Add asparagus; cook for 3 minutes. Add tomato, basil, and salt and pepper to taste; cook for 1 minute.
Spread asparagus mixture over whole-wheat pizza crust; top with chèvre cheese.
Place pizza directly on middle oven rack (for softer, chewier crust, bake on cookie sheet). Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven (or according to pizza crust directions on package) for 6 to 8 minutes or until crust browns. Broil for 2 minutes or until cheese begins to bubble.
- Protein: 5.0 grams
- Fat: 4.0 grams
- Carbohydrates: 27.0 grams
- Calories: 171