Great Sudbury Weather Outlook: Early Spring Storm Threatens with Snow and Strong Winds

6872
Winter Weather Alert Yellow

Great Sudbury is under a special weather statement as of 5:31 AM EDT on Tuesday, 2 April 2024, with an early spring storm on the horizon. This weather event is expected to bring strong winds, rain, and the potential for significant snowfall from tonight through Thursday. The approaching Colorado low signals a period of severe weather that could impact travel and power supply, emphasizing the need for residents to prepare for possible disruptions.

Today’s Weather Overview

Current Conditions

As observed at Greater Sudbury Airport at 6:00 AM EDT, conditions are mainly clear with a temperature of -2.5°C. The pressure is falling, recorded at 101.8 kPa, with a humidity level of 79%. Northeast winds are blowing at 20 km/h, creating a wind chill factor of -8 and maintaining visibility at 24 km. However, the serene start to the day is set to give way to more tumultuous weather conditions as the storm approaches.

Expected Conditions

The day will start sunny, with a gradual shift to a mix of sun and cloud by the afternoon. Winds from the east will pick up, reaching speeds of 30 km/h and gusting up to 60 km/h, with temperatures climbing to a high of 8°C despite a chilly wind chill of -10 in the morning. The UV index will be moderate at 4.

By tonight, the weather will take a turn as snow begins, mixing with rain late in the evening, and resulting in an expected snowfall of 5 cm. Winds will intensify, gusting from 40 to 60 km/h, as temperatures drop to zero.

Wednesday will see continued snow, transitioning to a mix with rain in the afternoon, adding another 5 to 10 cm of snowfall. Strong easterly winds will persist, with a slight increase in temperature to plus 2°C. The day will conclude with snow and a low of minus 1°C.

Thursday’s conditions will be cloudy with a 60% chance of flurries and a high of plus 2°C, shifting to cloudy periods with a 40% chance of flurries by night and a low of minus 2°C. The weather is expected to remain cloudy on Friday, with a clearing trend by night and a low of minus 3°C.

Wardrobe Recommendations

Given the forecast of snow and strong winds, it’s advisable to dress in warm layers, with a focus on insulation and wind resistance. Waterproof and snow-proof outerwear, along with hats, gloves, and sturdy boots, will be essential for navigating the conditions safely. Reflective or brightly colored clothing is also recommended for increased visibility during periods of reduced visibility.

Weather Trivia

Did you know that the largest snowfall in a single day in Sudbury was recorded on March 17, 1992, with a total of 36.6 cm of snow? This upcoming storm, though significant, is part of a long history of challenging weather events in the region.

Previous articleToronto Weather Outlook: Early Spring Storm to Bring Winds, Rain, and Snow
Next articleSault Ste. Marie Weather Outlook: Winter Weather Advisory Issued