Armstrong and Whitesand Under Siege by Extreme Cold: Weather Advisory and Outlook

1332
Winter Weather alert RED

Whitesand and Armstrong – NetNewsLedger Weather Desk – Armstrong and Whitesand are currently in the grip of an extreme cold warning, with temperatures at the Armstrong Airport plunging to -35°C under clear skies.

The barometer reads a steady 103.0 kPa, signalling stable but frigid conditions. Humidity is relatively high at 73%, with the wind remaining calm, offering little relief from the penetrating cold.

Today’s Forecast: A Battle with the Cold

The day will see a mix of sun and cloud, transitioning to full sunshine by the morning. Despite the sunlight, the northwest wind at 20 km/h, becoming light around noon, will do little to warm the residents, with temperatures expected to reach a high of -13°C.

The wind chill factor this morning is near -40°C, improving slightly to -16°C in the afternoon. These conditions pose a serious risk of frostbite within minutes of exposure. The UV index is low at 1, reflecting the minimal solar intensity during this period.

Tonight: The Chill Deepens

Cloudiness will increase early in the evening, with winds reaching up to 15 km/h. Temperatures will drop to -24°C but are expected to rise towards -17°C by morning.

However, the wind chill will make it feel like -31°C overnight, continuing the risk of frostbite for anyone exposed to the elements.

Looking Ahead: A Slight Thaw on the Horizon

Friday offers a glimmer of hope with cloudy skies clearing by the afternoon. Winds from the southeast at 20 km/h, gusting to 40 km/h, will usher in slightly warmer air, raising temperatures to a high of +3°C.

However, the morning will still present a harsh wind chill of -25°C. The UV index increases marginally to 2.

The weekend maintains the cloudy conditions, with Saturday’s high at -3°C and a 40 percent chance of flurries by night, dropping temperatures to -14°C.

Sunday continues the trend, with a 40 percent chance of flurries during the day and a high of -9°C, leading into a night with a 60 percent chance of flurries and a low of -8°C.

Extreme Cold Warning: Safety Measures

  • Vulnerable Groups: Special attention is required for young children, the elderly, those with chronic illnesses, and outdoor workers, who are at greater risk under these extreme conditions.
  • Health Precautions: Be alert for signs of frostbite and hypothermia, such as shortness of breath, chest pain, and numbness. Immediate covering and warming are crucial.
  • Pet Safety: Pets should remain indoors as temperatures are too severe for them to be outside.
  • Workplace Safety: Outdoor workers need to take regular breaks to warm up and prevent cold-related health issues.

Weather Trivia:

Armstrong and Whitesand, with their northern Ontario location, are no strangers to severe winter weather. However, the extreme cold warnings serve as a reminder of the area’s susceptibility to some of Canada’s most harsh winter conditions.

Previous articleSioux Lookout Weather Update: Extreme Cold Warning Continues
Next articleExtreme Cold Continues Arctic Blast Hits Northern Ontario: Extreme Cold Warnings in Effect