Investigation and Arrests
The Thunder Bay Police Service has arrested Chris BROWN, 45, and Becky BROWN, 41, following an investigation into elder abuse allegations spanning from February 2022 to April 2023. The investigation, led by the Crimes Against Seniors Investigator, began in April 2023.
The accused face several charges:
- Failure to Provide the Necessaries of Life: Under Section 215 of the Criminal Code, this charge implies neglect or failing to provide life necessities, potentially resulting in a maximum prison term of 5 years.
- Forcible Confinement: Defined in Section 279(2), this involves unlawfully confining a person, which can lead to imprisonment for up to 10 years.
- Criminal Breach of Trust: Per Section 336, it involves a person dishonestly using authority, potentially incurring up to 14 years in prison.
- Theft by Person Holding Power of Attorney: This falls under general theft provisions, which, if the value exceeds $5,000, could lead to a maximum of 10 years imprisonment (Section 334).
- Assault: Section 266 covers this, carrying a maximum sentence of 5 years.
- Fraud Over $5000: According to Section 380(1)(a), this charge can result in imprisonment for up to 14 years.
Both accused have been released pending a future court date.