Here are some significant events that happened on February 28 in history:
- 1844: A gun on USS Princeton explodes while the ship is on a Potomac River cruise, killing eight people, including two United States Cabinet members.
- 1893: The USS Indiana, the lead ship of her class and the first battleship in the United States Navy comparable to foreign battleships of the time, is launched.
- 1922: The United Kingdom grants Egypt independence.
- 1940: Basketball player and coach, Jerry Lucas, is born in Middletown, Ohio.
- 1953: James Watson and Francis Crick, working at Cambridge University, announce their discovery of the structure of DNA.
- 1986: Swedish Prime Minister Olof Palme is assassinated in Stockholm.
- 2013: Pope Benedict XVI resigns, becoming the first pope to do so since Pope Gregory XII in 1415.
These are just a few of the significant events that have occurred on February 28 throughout history.
Here are some notable people who were born on February 28:
- Mario Andretti – Italian-American former racing driver (born in 1940)
- Bernadette Peters – American actress and singer (born in 1948)
- Brian Jones – English musician, founding member of The Rolling Stones (born in 1942)
- Rory Gallagher – Irish blues-rock guitarist and singer-songwriter (born in 1948)
- Gavin MacLeod – American actor, known for his role on “The Love Boat” (born in 1931)
- Eric Lindros – Canadian former professional ice hockey player (born in 1973)
- Jason Aldean – American country music singer (born in 1977)
- Aroldis Chapman – Cuban-American professional baseball player (born in 1988)
These are just a few of the notable people who were born on February 28.